Several problems with iChat

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrat93, Jun 3, 2009.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

Over the past few months, I've been having more and more problems with iChat. Here are two that have been bothering me the most.

1. iChat stops making sounds. Whenever I send or receive a message, no sound is played. It does work for video-chatting though

2. I cannot send or receive files. When sending a friend a document, it says "Sent 0 bytes of x KB." Half of the time when receiving files, it immediately says "Unexpectedly ended."

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks.

2. tallguy macrumors regular

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

Yes I do. Is that the problem?

4. tallguy macrumors regular

It might be causing some sort of problem. It has been known to affect other applications. You could try uninstalling safari 4, but I kind of doubt that would be the problem because other people probably would have reported the same thing.

5. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

More problems...

Now, unread messages always stay unread. Meaning the icon is always bouncing in the dock with a 3-digit number indicating the number of messages I've received.

6. allan.nyholm macrumors 6502a

allan.nyholm

Try getting AppZapper and go into its preferences and allow system applications to be zapped.

Then drag iChat over the AppZapper window and use the checkboxes to remove everything but not iChat itself. You don't want to delete the application you need to run to be deleted(sent to the Trash)

Doing this will give you an almost clean slate with iChat because the preference files are gone.
    When you add your account again you will notice that your username is in place and that you only need to enter your password.