several q's including macbook refurb or new macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mike4him, May 19, 2010.

1. mike4him macrumors newbie

long time lurker first time post-er:

I thought this would be a good spot for my question/comment. I am a teacher so keep this in mind as you read. I am doing basic functions on the MB, heaviest work is using imovie.

Would you buy the just posted refurb (here) or the new macbook? I can wait until the BTS promotion begins.

As many have noted, the previous macbook simply seems to be sitting in the refurbished section of apple.com There it is $759.

The newer version is $949 for me (boo, not $899!). The newer generation doesn't seem worth the extra money to me. I don't need the extra battery life and the processor and video don't seem necessary for what I do.

I called my local apple store and they let me know that yes if I buy in the back-to-school time frame they will give me the freebies (assuming that happens). I had thought about getting an ipod touch already, but would prefer the 32gig to the 8gig (assuming they give the 8gig FAR). .

Does any one recall if they did discounts on the 32 or 64 gig touches for the BTS promotion?

If i buy the refurb now and save $190 (plus smaller amount of tax on total purchase price) that should be plenty to get me a touch from a re-seller this summer, correct?

thanks for your advice in advance.

2. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

Honestly, ask yourself a couple questions:

Am I going to do anything that requires a stronger video chip? If you're buying a MacBook in the first place, my thoughts are no.

Am I going to need "up to 10 hours" of battery life? Or will "up to 7 hours" be fine? I have a MBP with a 5 hour battery, I never run out of battery.

Is 140MHz really worth that much more to me? 140MHz isn't a big speed boost by any means these days.

In terms of BTS specials, Apple tends to do this: "Buy a Mac, get a free iPod touch!" Now, they make you pay for it up front, and you receive a $200 rebate later. So they don't really discount it, they just give it for free as a mail in rebate.

I would advise you to buy the refurb for $759. You're saving $200ish and you're getting a computer that is fundamentally the same as the one for $949. Now, if you're deadset on a stonger GPU, slightly longer battery life, and 140MHz of speed, then I guess dropping $949 is your best bet.

If you were me, I would buy the $759. It's a steal.

3. mike4him thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the advice. after calculations refurb it is. i am very impressed with this site and y'all's (texan here) advice. I will do my best to help make this place even better.

4. miicah macrumors regular

If I were buying a new macbook right now, I'd be going for a refurb or second hand with the 9400G

5. ct95 macrumors regular

If you want an iPod touch anyway, I think cost-wise new Macbook + free iPod touch versus old Macbook + re-sold iPod touch is a virtual wash. ($949 versus $759 + 190). You get the new Macbook just by waiting two weeks. Both are good deals, but the former has a slight edge due to the upgrades. You also get $100 towards a new printer. Virtually free printer (you have to pay the taxes), which can then be sold or kept if you need one.

I am hoping the iPod rebate is the same in dollar amount as last year ($229) as opposed to pegged to the cheapest iPod touch. You might then apply that to the higher end iPod touch.