iPad Several questions about running out of space

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Randomizer, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Randomizer macrumors member

Randomizer

My wife's iPad is very low on space and mine is getting there. I have checked usage on both and have a few questions.

1. The usage on my wife's iPad doesn't appear to come close to what is indicated. In other words, if I were to add up the usage per item (app,photos, videos etc) it does not appear that it would approach the 27GB it indicates that she has used. Shows about 1200 photos but less than 1GB for photos, nothing exceeds 1GB and she has only three items that are over 500MB and she doesn't have that many apps. Where could this missing usage be?

2. My iPad shows several apps with space used that far exceeds the size of the app. And from the type of app it is - I am having a hard time seeing how it could get that way. Fanhattan, for example, is at 1.1GB used for an app that is only 41.5MB in size. iTV Shows is showing 538MB in usage for an app that is only 19.9MB. The only data I am inputting for these apps is check marks indicating if I have watched a television episode or film. Tapatalk HD is a forum tracker showing 518MB in usage for an app that is only 7.8MB.

3. What is the best way to clean photos and videos out of an iPad without losing them. My wife has alot of photos that she has taken with her iPad or photos she has taken with her iPhone and photostreamed. We have an iMac with OSX Mountain Lion. Can I pull all of this off to the iMac right from Photostream into iPhoto and then delete from the iPad?

Thank you.

2. AnorexicPig macrumors 6502

AnorexicPig

1) The space could be 'other' category, also try clearing the cache in safari and messages if you use iMessage.

2) The app size increases as cache builds up,facebook app is 45 mb but can grow as much as 500mb,though an app cleans the cache every week or so. Turn the iPad off and then on again,sometimes helps.

3) if you have all photos in photostream as well as on camera roll,you can delete photos from camera roll and store the photos from photo stream on your mac.

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Facebook has gotten well over 1 GB for me, which is nuts. So make sure you check that if you use it a lot.

4. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

1 GB?? Is that because the app caches hi-res photos along with video-clips or what?

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

That's my assumption. It doesn't say what it is other than "Documents and Data".

6. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

I deleted FaceBook app and re-install it clears up everything so I am sure it does same for other apps. :apple:

7. Randomizer thread starter macrumors member

Randomizer

thanks all. Trying a few of these options today. I will report back.

8. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Try dropbox camera upload. Personally i trust that more than photostream.