Several questions about Safari (password, removing plugins)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MercyInYou, May 11, 2010.

1. MercyInYou macrumors newbie

First of all, I am a newbie on this forum and in mac world so forgive me if I'm doing something wrong ;)

I bought my first MacBook three weeks ago and was using Firefox for the first two but then I decided to switch to Safari. I love it but I have a couple of questions/problems. I did google it but found mixed responses.

1) Safari sometimes doesn't save passwords, even does't ask me if I'd like to.
    2) this:
    [​IMG]
    It shows every time I launch Safari. I'm deleted Saft (used AppTrap) but looks like there are sill some files left. And I have no idea what to do with this SIMBL thing... Sorry for being such a noob! :)

Your help would be really appreciated!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are running haxies like Saft and PithHelmet. These are among the top causes of problems in Safari. I recommend that you forgo haxies until you understand your system better.

3. MercyInYou thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize that I am apparently using them but I deleted all (I thought so, obviously not) the files. And the password problems occurred before I installed them so I'm still searching for solutions.

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

1st step, go here:
    HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.keychainaccess.plist

Move that plist file to your Desktop.
    Restart (just to be sure - the reason is to create a new default plist file)
    Now try a site that you know had saved your password before. (confirm that before moving the plist)
    If that one doesn't work, put the plist file back (overwrite the new one) and try again to make sure it's back.
    If that does work, try a site that didn't work before. (again, test it out before starting this procedure)
    If that works, you can safely delete the plist you move to the Desktop.

If all that fails, you can poke around in Keychain Access (in the Utilities Folder) and see if you can turn up anything. And while in there, explore Keychain Access Help from the Help Menu.

5. MercyInYou thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you Gregg! :) Looks like it worked.

And the second problem mysteriously disappeared as I launched Safari today and no windows/errors popped up... Apple Gods are in good mood I guess:D

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Great! I'm glad to hear that plist trick works sometimes!! ;)

7. macjaffa macrumors member

Hi

I'm a new Safari user (coming from Opera / firefox on WinXP) and I don't get how the passwords work?

How do I get safari to use my saved passwords, it asks me if I want to save passwords, but I can't figure out how to get it to use them.

Firefox would just autofill after a second, Opera click the wand or key to autofill, I've tried clicking autofill in Safari but I think that onlyworks for the personal data in the preferences, not passwords.

cheers

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It works for me in Safari. So let's backtrack here.

What is your OS version, and your Safari version?