Several questions on installing XP on a new MBP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by GamerDad, Mar 21, 2011.

1. GamerDad macrumors member

I bought one of the new MBP 15" i7, 8Gb RAM, 2.2 GHz. I don't have an absolute need currently, but am likely going to need to use some windows programs.

I have parallels program, and Windows XP Professional SP2 OEM CD

Questions :

1) Once I get XP up and running, is it easy to update the OS? I would at the least need to get SP3. Is it necessary to keep the OS upgraded - MS is always releasing new security fixes, etc... do I really have to hassle with all of that?

2)I am guessing that installing windows programs from a disk is possible running under the virtual environment?

3) I have MS Office Student edition for Mac, but I have the Professional Edition for Windows - will these 2 programs play nicely together if opened at the same time?

4. Should I consider biting the bullet, and spending the dollars to get Windows 7 rather than using XP? What would be the main purpose for doing that other than having the newest OS?

5) If I decide that I want to scrap (delete) everything having to do with XP, all the programs, etc - is it easy to get rid of? Does the delete wind up leaving lots of bits and pieces everywhere?

2. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

1. Updates aren't a hassle, especially security updates. You can turn on Automatic Updates if you are concerned about manually going through the options.

2. Yes, you would just mount your drive onto your VM program.

3. There's no reason for them not to. They are independent programs.

4. I would spend the money on Win7, but it is not necessary. WinXP is still supported by Microsoft. Although Bootcamping XP with newer Macbooks has become strenuous.

5. You would just delete the actual virtual machine from Parallels. No significant remnants remain.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Explicitly.

Boot Camp (i.e. native installation) of Windows XP on 2011 MBPs is not supported by Apple. So if you ever need full hardware support (e.g. games, engineering software, ...) and don't want to have to hunt down individual drivers etc.. manually, get W7.

Otherwise, XP in a VM should be just peachy for everyday tasks.

Note also that XP is in an "Extended Support" period until 2014. Only security updates will be published.

B

4. GamerDad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks to both of you.

Is there a good site that I should look at prior to getting started with parallels that outlines any pitfalls, or is it easy enough to just go for it?

I read the getting started PDF from parallels, and it looks pretty straightforward, but there is a lot of discussion from "power users" on all the various tweaks and set ups that they have...

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just go for it. Unless you already consider yourself a power user, live with the defaults until you have a reason not to.

B

6. Madman12 macrumors newbie

GamerDad;
    Tell us how the XP installation went. I'll congratulate you when you succeed. I've not yet seen proof of anybody been able to. But, should happen soon.
    Morzman

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

GamerDad was going to install XP in a Parallels VM last we checked in. Surely you're not suggesting that no one has been able to do that. ;)

B

8. Madman12 macrumors newbie

balamw;
    You are absolutely correct, my fault. Through boot camp is what I´m looking into. With the 2011 MBP, Apple must have done something to prevent that.
    Morzman