Several Questions... OS 10.4 & 5, Genius Folks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by WG5516, Feb 21, 2009.

1. WG5516 macrumors regular

1) Would you recommend Bubying OS.X 10.5 used off sites like Ebay and Amazon?

I brought my MBP 10.4 used and it didn't come with a disc to reinstall the software.

2) Is there a way of getting an official 10.4 disc from Apple and not pay the full price? I would much rather update 10.4 w/ my new HDD than spend $100+ for Leopard and the new version come out in the summer.

3) Does the genius folks at apple install HDD & Ram for free or is their a charge? LOL

I'm a broke college kid and I'm trying to get as much bang for my buck as possible!!! Thanks folks!

2. moez macrumors regular

With buying used software off internet, you are not too sure whether you are getting the genuine, real software or not. It could most obviously be fake, or be a violation of the license term. The EULA only allows for software to be used on one computer and how could you assure that the person selling you his Leopard DVD has removed it form the computer (there arent many alternatives you know). So, if you are getting a shady DVD anyways, might as well just torrent it. Both are equally risky.

To just get the same 10.4 in your new HDD, you could use a tool like CarbonCopyCloner (CCC) and copy the image to your new hard drive. this way you get saved from the license fees and just buy Snow Leopard when it comes out later this year.

No, Apple would not replace the stuff unless you buy it from them (which is way over priced). In MBP, the RAM is user-replaceable so you can easily do it yourself. for Harddrive, go to an authorized service center. they would charge some money but atleast you would have the peace of mind. If you are a bit geeky, you could do it yourself also.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you buy a used MB that originally had 10.4 and you didn't get the disks, you can buy replacement disks from Apple for about $40. These disks will get you back to the original state.

4. WG5516 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok thanks for the replies folks. I really do appreciate it. I think I'm going to get a replacement 10.4 disc from apple and save up for Snow Leopard.