Several random problems on a July, '09 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sb88, Nov 18, 2009.

1. sb88 macrumors newbie

Hi! I purchased a 15 in MBP in July of 2009. Since purchasing, I have had several problems. First came an odd sound. It almost sounded like the crinkling of a candy wrapper, and seemed to come from the hinge area. I cannot find a theme in the sound (happens both on plug and battery power, different times of day, different times/types of use etc). It will go away for a month, come back, and go away again. I cannot make the noise happen, and because of this, I am hesitant to take it to the Genius bar (I go to school in a place where there is no store, so I can only take it to the Genius bar when I am home).

Problem number two was self-induced. I spilled about 2 tbsp of cranberry juice on the bottom part of the trackpad. It seems to be a bit sticky, but this goes away after several hours of use. My father mentioned to me that he took his older MBP in a few weeks ago and got the entire thing cleaned and blown out. Would this solve my trackpad issue? Also, where are the liquid sensors located? Would my accidental spill have reached these?

Problem number three is very recent. I have read about this in several threads on the forum, but each situation seems different. I recently began to notice (pre-spill!) that my screen will go dark for a moment, then come back on. This seems to happen when I am using it on battery power, and also on a lower brightness level. It also seems to happen more often (but not every time) when I have just restarted/started it or awoken it from sleep mode.

Basically, all of these problems are hard to reproduce, and as such, hard to present to a Genius. What should I do? I only have this one weekend to fix these problems, but I am worried I won't be able to prove the issues to the Apple store. Are there ways I can fix them myself?

ALSO........I want to take out my "Apple" logo on the back and put colors behind it, and I know how to do this with the old MBP, but how to do it with the unibody?

THANKS!!!

2. michaelfengdayu macrumors member

Trust me, you don't want to do that with the unibody macbook pro. The screen glass is fix with the frame with sticky tape. very hard to peel off without warping the glass. And I can guarantee you there will be dust/dirt stuck between the LCD and the glass. It's just not worthy it.

3. sb88 thread starter macrumors newbie

duly noted. I had some issues with my old white 13 in MB when i did it, but it was so cool!