Several Retailers to Begin Testing Apple Pay Rival CurrentC

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly three years after the Merchant Customer Exchange (MCX) was founded in August 2012, several U.S. retailers and restaurants belonging to the consortium will begin publicly testing their Apple Pay rival CurrentC in Columbus, Ohio over the coming weeks, according to The Wall Street Journal.

CurrentC is a mobile payments solution that requires scanning a QR code with a smartphone for contactless payment from a checking account, gift card or private label debit or credit card. The service does not currently accept major bank-issued credit cards such as Visa or MasterCard as retailers look to avoid costly fees.

Public testing of CurrentC is set to begin just as MCX's three-year exclusivity window expires this week, allowing retailers to explore other mobile payment solutions. Yesterday, MCX member Rite Aid reversed course and will begin accepting Apple Pay and Google Wallet on August 15, in addition to Android Pay when available.

Best Buy, a founding member of MCX, also began accepting Apple Pay for in-app purchases in April and announced that full Apple Pay support is coming to Best Buy stores in the U.S. later in 2015. The electronics retailer will be monitoring CurrentC's limited trial run but has not confirmed that it will be implementing the platform in stores.

Other MCX members include 7-Eleven, Alon Brands, CVS, Darden Restaurants, HMSHost, Hy-Vee, Lowe's, Michaels, Publix, Sears, Shell, Sunoco, Target and Walmart, some of which have confirmed plans to launch CurrentC in the future. Other retailers remain in the process of exploring contactless payment solutions or installing the necessary infrastructure to support smartphone-based transactions.

Update 7:10 AM: MCX CEO Brian Mooney tells Re/code that CurrentC may not see a broad launch until 2016, depending on how the early testing in Ohio proceeds.

Article Link: Several Retailers to Begin Testing Apple Pay Rival CurrentC

azentropy

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
They are well past the point of this being relevant. Newer phones typically have Google Pay, Apple Pay and even Samsung Pay preinstalled. Why would people install yet another pay system to their phone? People with older phones without NFC support typically aren't typically the tech savvy people who would want to pay using their phones anyway.

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
It's hard to imagine this gaining much ground.

However, it seems that the fees of Visa and MasterCard are too high. Is there a good argument for saying that government regulation should restrict their fees, as they have an uncompetitive monopoly?
Current c cuts the middle man in making a profit which google,apple have.

Reactions: AleXXXa

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
sure, WE say is DOA and a sure 'miss' - but people who don't know/don't or care how apple pay works in comparison will have no grasp of the lack of security/privacy, and assuredly use this if it's in their faces everywhere. android is projected to be 45% of the market share this year if i'm not mistaken - not exactly numbers to ignore.

this payment system has CC vendors and banks to throw money at the marketing. just get nicki minaj or briber in the commercials and BOOM.

edit: hmm, i guess i haven't been paying attention as much as i could have been considering i didn't gather that android pay is an entirely separate entity. moving along.... : /

Last edited:
Reactions: dkh587
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.