Several Unique Optibay Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfrik, Apr 21, 2011.

1. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Hello MacRumors,
    Okay I have been searching for quite some time using MRoogle but I can't seem to find my answers to this following questions regarding MCE Optibay.

1. Does 7200 rpm Drive that I am going to put inside the Optibay, is going to decrease my overall battery life? Most reviews (Macworld, MCE) said that it is not going to affect my battery performance at all, I am more interested in knowing what you guys' experience regarding this matter?

2. Do you guys recommend installing Windows 7 on the Optibay HDD? From what I read, The optical drive is using the SATA II Connector whereas the primary HDD drive utilize SATA III Connector. Will this make the SATA II Connector decrease its life?

3. Do I need to know everything else regarding the installation of the Optibay? Should I be worried to turn off the sudden motion sensor to off?

Excuse my english. I am a full time student from Asia. :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks MacRumors.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

1) depends on what you put on it and how you use it.

2) I plan to do just that, once i figure out how to install it w/o the optical drive.

3) there is no SMS in the optibay so that is not a problem, since your putting a HDD in the optibay, it is best if that HDD has built in SMS, like the seagate momentus, WD Scorpio Black etc.

3. macfrik thread starter macrumors 6502

macfrik

I havent got a chance to install it. Maybe later tonight. But from what I've read, doesn't MCE Technology provide us a software to use external Superdrive to use with our MacBook Pro? Have you tried to install that in your MacBook Pro?

Thanks for your fast response