Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleminion

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
I'm getting severe battery drain after upgrading to 8.3 - it'll drop a couple percentage after a few minutes and even when idle... Battery life was much better on 8.2. Anyone else experiencing this? Should I revert back to 8.2 or does it take a while for the battery to stabilize after upgrading?

appleminion

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 16, 2015
when i upgrade to 8.2 from 8.1, the battery life improved a lot without waiting a few days though..

snsking

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2013
I am experiencing it as well.. hopefully it sorts out in a few days

DMCG1

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Down 4% after 20 min of browsing MacRumors threads on Safari. Using iOS 8.3; 50% backlight on LTE.

Not sure what to conclude yet.

FloridaGary

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2014
I'm noticing a drain for the first time but I always use my phone more after an update so I'll wait to make final judgement.

Yun0

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2013
Winnipeg, Canada
fine here, app refresh & freq locations are battery drainers..& both are disabled as always. so is traffic & popular near me since theyre just "product improvement" services, rest of services are all on

edenbensal

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2012
I feels that my battery life on my iPhone on 8.3 is little worse in comparison to 8.2.
the weird thing is that the usage time is equal to idle time *see attachment
the time is 19 Hours and 25 Minutes. that happen also on 8.2.

what is the solution for this?
i tried to turn off background refresh app without any success.

Attachments

• IMG_0164.PNG
    IMG_0164.PNG
    81.4 KB · Views: 213

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I feels that my battery life on my iPhone on 8.3 is little worse in comparison to 8.2.
the weird thing is that the usage time is equal to idle time *see attachment
the time is 19 Hours and 25 Minutes. that happen also on 8.2.

what is the solution for this?
i tried to turn off background refresh app without any success.

Delete all your email accounts, do a hard reset and then reinstall your accounts.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Yes as Sunking101 stated or if easier settings>general>reset>reset network settings. You will have to add back any wifi networks tho but maybe easier than lots of email accts. Plus in case its not an email acct that is hung up this will solve it. But bottom line some app is hung (probably mail) causing this issue.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I don't refresh apps either

but at 18 hours Standby and 3.5 hours Usage, i am at 74%

medium usage and i keep brightness at about 70%

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Since using the iOS 8.3 betas, I've noticed battery drain when in standby. Gutted it still exists with the final release. I did report it, and it seems relatively widespread that makes you wonder what the point in public betas are if they just ignore us..

It seems that you right. The Mail app causing the issue.
Should I delete all accounts including iCloud account?

You must have a lot of Mail accounts with push/fetch every 15 minutes. Turn push off and set it to fetch every 30 mins, or set some accounts to Mail fetch if they aren't urgent.

scjr

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2013
OTA update on my 6+ and Air 2.

Battery life has been excellent on both devices.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I noticed my 5S was running a bit hot during the two days after updating and I thought that the battery might have been affected, but wasn't sure. My wife's 5S was definitely impaired - she left for work, barely used her phone, and it was completely dead within two hours. That was a one-time thing; it never happened before, and so far, it hasn't happened since.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
I noticed my 5S was running a bit hot during the two days after updating and I thought that the battery might have been affected, but wasn't sure. My wife's 5S was definitely impaired - she left for work, barely used her phone, and it was completely dead within two hours. That was a one-time thing; it never happened before, and so far, it hasn't happened since.

Try doing a 'Reset All Settings'. This will not erase any content.

I always do that when I upgrade from a .X version. Like from 8.1 to 8.2 and to 8.3.

edenbensal

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2012
Since using the iOS 8.3 betas, I've noticed battery drain when in standby. Gutted it still exists with the final release. I did report it, and it seems relatively widespread that makes you wonder what the point in public betas are if they just ignore us..
You must have a lot of Mail accounts with push/fetch every 15 minutes. Turn push off and set it to fetch every 30 mins, or set some accounts to Mail fetch if they aren't urgent.

I turn PUSH off all account except iCloud account. till now the use time and standby time is identical.

Try doing a 'Reset All Settings'. This will not erase any content.

I always do that when I upgrade from a .X version. Like from 8.1 to 8.2 and to 8.3.

I'll try it. thank.

Pug72

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2012
England
My 6 has been very bad since going from last beta to public version.

Flipboard seems to be the main culprit in the last 24 hours.

Tried the network reset, hopefully that'll do it.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
No problems for me on either my iPhone 6 or iPad Air 2 after 8.3, my phone only looses 2% over 8 hours during the night and my iPad lost nothing over the same time.

For reference I got a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge the other day and it lost 6% over the same time. The iPhone 6 kills the S6 in the battery department(and a lot of other areas as well) and I get the same amount of battery out of the iPhone that I get from my Note 4 but I put that down to the screen on the Samsungs. I can only imagine what the battery like on the 6+

Baseballdad

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2014
Crazy situation! My battery drain seems slightly worse than 8.2 but my mail usage is way high. After installing 8.3 from 8.2 I noticed my mail and battery usage slowly increasing. My battery usage will usually go up after an update due to increased usage but will quickly go back to normal. My mail numbers have never increased before. I checked this post and noticed a user have the same issues. I did all that was recommended. Such as erasing my emails and doing a hard reset then reinstalled with no luck. I also reset network settings with no luck. My mail settings are set to fetch and 30 minutes. Nothing is set to push. Finally I erased the two emails I have other than the iCloud mail and tried to hard reset again. I'm going to give it a day and see if it goes down but does anyone have any more suggestions? Thank you

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.