Severe Filetransfer Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tarex1992, Oct 14, 2017.

1. tarex1992 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I recently started having some problems when transferring files from my SD-Card to my 2015 Macbook Pro..

It recognizes the card just fine and I can select all desired files as well but when the transfer starts, it gets weird.

It will transfer the first couple files (maybe 20%ish) just fine and then it will create 0 Byte files for the rest and just quit - its kind of hard to explain, here a picture of what 80% of the "transferred" files look like:
    [​IMG]
    Weirdly, when I import/transfer the pictures using Lightroom it works just fine...
    Can someone maybe help me with this? Any experience/suggestions?

Formatting the SD Card (FAT) did not help :(

Looking forward to your feedback!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi

how do you transfer the files from the sd card to the Mac (do you use Image Capture )?

Did you format the sd card with the Mac, or the camera ?

3. tarex1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use the sd card slot in the Mac :)

I formatted it with the Mac as well...

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The question is what app do you use, ie do you use Image Capture ?

A camera sd card must be formated by the camera itself.

5. tarex1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

I normally do not use an import tool but simply copy the files from the SD Card, which has never posed a problem untik now. When using lightroom to import everything works fine (as described above) :)

I would have to disagree concerning formatting though - I format the card every 2-3 months and always with the Mac, not been a problem and idk if that has to do with the problem of not copying all files. Normally formatting problems would result in the camera not recognizing the card or it being shown as damage - as far as my experience goes at least

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

It is your intestest to give the maximum of informations to get help.

Good luck.

7. tarex1992 thread starter macrumors newbie

so, because i think about your answer and give constructive criticism or feedback, I dont want your help?
    I just wanted to share my knowledge to reach a conclussion that takes all of your (and my) experience etc. into account.

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

No sorry, no offense here, I am just unable to help you more, by lack of expertise.

Others will help you for sure.

However, I would try, as a test, to format the card with the camera, then use Image Capture to import, and see how it works.

9. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I concur with what Bruno09 wrote above.

Format the card IN THE CAMERA.

Takes only a few moments to do this.

I'm wondering if this isn't the source of the problems the OP is experiencing....?

Also... could the card itself be "going bad" on you?
    (Sometimes they just do that)

Have you tried using a different card?

10. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Have you tried doing this with another SD card? This might be able easiest way to tell if this is failing hardware versus something else.

11. ChrisA macrumors G4

The way you figure this out is by thinking up reasons for the problem them testing each.

1) first guess is the Mac is working just fine and there are zero length files on the SD card How to test: Try reading card with a different computer
    2) the Mac is formatting to card in a way the camera can't deal with. How To test: Format the card on the camera then take 100+ shots
    3) the SD card is defective, try a different card

It is either the case that the camera is broken, the Mac is broken or the card is broken. You are going to have to test.

One thing that is certain using logic like "It worked 100 times before, so that can't be the problem" is wrong. Everything that break worked just fine before it broke. So saying "My SD card must be OK because it worked for years" is the same thing as saying "my tire can't be flat because it worked fine for 70,000 miles"

When I say "Mac is broken" I mean some software on the Mac, likely nut the hardware.