Severe iPhone repair needed - what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by throwbookatface, Dec 7, 2009.

1. throwbookatface macrumors member

Hey guys,

Simple question - my 16gb 3GS iPhone is broken. I ran over it with a go-kart by accident after having it for 2 months! It fell out of pocket on one lap, ran over it the next lap while trying to find it :( It doesn't just need a simple screen replacement though:

• Screen shattered.
    • The LCD is broken too (it turns on, but just shows white, and there is a small missing part where you can see the iPhone internals too, so I'd definitely need the new digitizer).
    • It can take calls and I can answer by swiping, but the microphone doesn't work as the person calling can't hear my voice
    • The bottom speaker/ringer doesn't work
    • The ear/phone speaker doesn't work, so essentially, no sound works on the phone

I got an offer to sell the broken shell to a guy for $150. I'm using a buddy's jailbroken 2G Edge iPhone for now, and I hate it. Since I only had the phone for 2 months, I don't qualify for an upgrade yet under AT&T so a new 16gb 3GS would cost me $400 with a contract extension (ouch).

Is it possible/worth it to repair my crushed iPhone's screen, LCD digitizer, mirophone, and 2 speakers, or should I just take the $150 and put it toward getting a new model, either another $400 3GS or Apple's next iPhone, whenever it may come out?

I appreciate any feedback. I realize there are a lot of these threads but since the damage seems so extensive and unique in my case I thought it might be reasonable to post my diagnostics and seek people's opinions. Thanks!

2. MasterDev macrumors 65816

Take it to Apple and get it swapped out for a new/refurbished one for $200

3. throwbookatface thread starter macrumors member

Do you think they'd be willing to do that even if I don't qualify for the upgrade yet?

4. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Their replacement program has nothing to do with your contract with At&t.

Also, I thought you were going to say you were hit with a green shell, then slipped on a banana peel, then ran over the phone. Would have been more awesome.

5. throwbookatface thread starter macrumors member

That at least would have been a better story to tell. Instead, my phone was in my side pocket instead of my pants pocket, so a hard right turn (and my stupidity) meant that it flew out with intertia. I ran over it on the next lap, and I'm sure other people did too.

I made a Genius appointment for this evening, I'll post back with results. If it's too expensive, I'll sell it to the guy who buys broken iphones and save up for the next-gen phone.

6. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Best of luck, and watch out for Blue shells on your way to the appointment. :D

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

It has nothing to do with that, since this would be an Out of Warranty replacement. However, I'm not sure if your damage is not too much for them to give you the replacement. I'll try to find the link that states the conditions for replacement and post here unless someone beats me to it.

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/faq/#warranty7

The bold is mine. So, it all depends on whether the Genius thinks you do not have catastrophic damage.

8. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I am very interested to know how this turns out for you. I can totally see something even more absurd happening to me someday.

Good Luck!

9. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

If this was in the UK, I could fix it for 180-200 dollars. Think 150 is a bit cheap - if the circuit board is good and not damaged it is worth alot more than that for parts.

Regards

Spencer

10. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

Sorry to hear that man, take it to Apple they will replace it under their "program". :) By the way, I learned my lesson the hard way, NEVER take your cell phone with you to an amusement park or go-kart track unless you wear TIGHT fitting jeans where it will tightly stay in your pocket. I lost my Motorola Q at a go-kart track.. and of course, it was never turned back in to lost and found.... Fortunately, i Had an extra one on hand that Verizon had shipped me.. And then 3 months later I got my iphone! :)

11. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

Also did you buy your iPhone with a credit card? If so check to see if you have any buyer protection built in. With American Express for example you have 90 days of protection in case of damage. I unfortunately dropped my 3gs in the toilet about a month after I got it. I got the $199 out of warranty replacement from Apple & then filed my claim with AMEX. Took a few weeks but they reimbursed me for the replacement.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

So this guy sure posted back.........

It would have been interesting to find out what happened.......