Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acboyz2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 21, 2020
I have a 64 gb iPhone 11 Pro Max, which I decided to get after friends told me that $1 a month of iCloud storage would be better than paying the extra $100 to get the 256gb model, and now I regret that decision almost daily.

My issue is that when I go to edit a video, text a video, or even text a photo, I am presented with a "Dowloading" message that can literally take MINUTES. Examples:

I am reaching out on this subreddit to see if any of these options are implemented without me knowing, or if anyone has a workaround, because at this point, I would pay an extra $100 in a heartbeat to not have to deal with this, but I feel like I cannot be the only person who has this issue.

If not, my main request, and my plea to apple, is to request the ability to MANUALLY SELECT which photos are stored locally on my device and which are stored in iCloud. The fact that this hasn't been implemented astounds me. This could manifest in a few ways:
1) A set amount of the most recent photos/videos is stored locally, and the older content is uploaded
2) Akin to the feature in Apple Music, allowing the user to click a button that permanently downloads it to the device from iCloud.
3) Allow favorites to be stored locally, and the rest on iCloud.

Under photo settings, I only see an option to "Optimize iPhone Storage" or "Download and Keep Originals" aka either upload all my photos to iCloud or download them all to my device. In an era where most people have upwards of 50gb of photos/videos I cannot believe that Apple doesn't offer an in-between option among these choices.

If nobody knows a solution to this, is there a way I can contact Apple to address this issue, because I really feel as though it is a serious issue that makes me livid knowing I spent $1,100 on a cell phone that forces me to stare at my phone screen for 3 minutes every time I want to send baby photos to my friends.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
Might not be what you want to hear, but iCloud sucks and is a waste of money. I would highly suggest moving to google photos. It’s better designed, more robust and best of all, free.

Reactions: lugworm
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.