Severe on-board audio latency problems on all late 2013 rMBP's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by donato, Nov 15, 2013.

1. donato Suspended

2. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

While I seldom use Core Audio for recording, I just checked and got similar numbers from Logic. That said, plugging headphones into the jack brings the latency measure back to normal (~5 msec). I imagine this has something to do with the hardware that's driving the "all-in-one" input/output jack on these new machines.

Kind of a non-issue for me since I'd certainly be wearing headphones for any kind of audio work, but it's yet another discouraging sign in terms of Apple's commitment to its 'pro' user base.

3. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

from that thread.. it seems like it's a hardware issue and not something a mavericks update could fix?

4. lg251 macrumors 6502

Just finishing the install of LP9. Will report my latency! I hope this is not true as I do not want to carry an Ensemble everywhere when I travel to get decent latencys...this is a bummer. From what I'm seeing my 2009 would have better latency...I'm past my 14 days return policy too!

5. lg251 macrumors 6502

Ok so I'm getting 14.7ms (128 buffer) of latency on LP9.
    Getting 9.8 with same settings but headphones plugged in.

This is no so great for a machine this good! Kind of disappointed.

6. ooans macrumors 6502

Yes... I have the same problem as well. This really sucks!

Attached Files:

7. lg251 macrumors 6502

What's your computer specs?

Do you have LP9 too? wandering if LP9 is better than LPX in terms of latency with the new rMBPs. So far the few screenshots I've seen of the LP9 seemed a tad lower. Making me think this could all be software related (coreaudio) and Apple could fix this. (fingers crossed)

8. sabbyp macrumors regular

If you want shocking further, what if I told you these machines only have an output now? they took away the all in one input/output jack.

I found that out the other day when I was trying to record something simple into ableton without using one of my external interfaces.

9. phoneorpda macrumors regular

Are you guys serious?

Who does "pro audio" work with the built in audio device?

These problems are non existent with a proper external sound card.

This is trying really hard to find something to complain about, in my opinion: my new rMBP 15 allows me to work on whatever project I had running on my 2009 nehalem Mac Pro ,wherever I go!

This thing is AWESOME!

10. lg251 macrumors 6502

1. It's called on the GO. I do my pro work with a sound card of course.
    2. My 2009 did have better latency than this. It's that we're being picky, but rather curious and disappointed that a newer and more expensive machine has worst latency....

11. phoneorpda macrumors regular

But again...on the go or not, you NEVER work without headphones, do you?
    Any case where you are working on audio using the built in speakers? Not if it's your job.

I understand the disappointment in the difference between this and older machines, but This problem is irrelevant to people who use the machine professionally on a daily basis.

I hope they fix this so y'all can be happy, but this doesn't stop anyone from being able to own the fastest mobile audio workstation ever: I literally throw tracks to this thing and it just eats them like they're nothing.... I couldn't be happier with this laptop. I can finally bring the same projects I work on in the studio with me anywhere I go. no alternate bounces, no printing fx, etc.

THE FUTURE, PEOPLE...THE FUTURE!!!!!!

12. ooans macrumors 6502

LP9 has the same high latency for me.

I know this isn't a huge issue, but it still is annoying. Just yesterday I was recording something with a MIDI keyboard using the inbuilt speakers and the latency made it really annoying.

13. everfangomanga macrumors member

I read through the GS forum and was a bit disheartened. However, from that forum it looks like it's something fixable through an update.

Posted by azrulsaleh on gearslutz:

"I can confirm that the latency is not due to hardware issue but related to CoreAudio. Tested at 128 samples of buffer size and I get the following roundtrip results with different i/o settings:

CoreAudio: 19.5ms
    Soundflower: 5.8 ms
    Boom: 5.8 ms"

Hopefully I'm not breaking any forum rules by quoting another forum.

Not surprising this one slipped through whatever QA there is in this area of development though, since most people worried about this sort of thing probably use an interface and headphones. BUT, there shouldn't be a downgrade in a new iteration of a machine (opening a can of worms here with other specs, I know).

As a disclaimer, I am not a professional and have only used GarageBand. But I hope to delve deeper into the home recording scene once I get my new rMBP (I've been computerless since my 2008 white macbook took a poo,) so I hope I will see some of you around!

14. johnnylarue macrumors 6502a

Holy smokes--you're right! The Haswell rMPB officially has no audio in jack. That's unfortunate.

Guess they really had to cut corners to be able to offer that $200 price drop from the Ivy Bridge machines...

15. ooans macrumors 6502

I just called AppleCare about this. They directed me to the "pro side" who had never heard about anything like this and were very surprised.

So please inform Apple if you also have the same problem.

16. nelroy macrumors newbie

Latency hardware test

I have similar latency problems, which is a bore because I'm developing an app that needs this. So - I booted my machine (2013 macbook pro 15" with Mavericks) into Windows 7, loaded the latest drivers and tested the latency at 128 samples with 48k sampling rate using ASIO4ALL. Round trip latency about 8ms, or 2ms more than the time required just to buffer the samples. Conclusion - this ain't no hardware problem. C'mon Apple, fix it please.

17. everfangomanga macrumors member

I don't want this thread to die. Anyone hear any updates?

18. donato thread starter Suspended

19. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Anyone know if this has been resolved with Yosemite?

Can someone please test their 2013 or newer rMBP and let us know the latency with and without headphones plugged in?

Thanks.