Severe performance drop in BootCamped games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by roxxor, Nov 11, 2012.

1. roxxor, Nov 11, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012

roxxor macrumors newbie

Hi. This is for a 15" rMBP.

I've been regularly playing EVE online maxxed out at native rez getting 60fps, and GW2 at 1900x1200 near max getting 30fps until today (I hadn't done anything to the machine apart from an OSX upgrade). Now I'm getting 5 - 10fps in both games. In fact, all 3D games work terribly under bootcamp. It is reminscent of the Optimus issues some Alienware laptops had (ie/m11x), where the NVIDIA GPU would not engage (and the onboard Intel would be used instead) unless a game was "white-listed" in the nvidia control panel.

Windows was telling me that new hardware had been detected, and recommended rerunning the performance check. Prior to re-running this, I had scores of 7.6, 7.7., 7.2, 7.2, 7.9. After rerunning: 7.6, 7.7, 5.5, 6.4, 7.9. The 5.5 and 6.4 were Graphics and 3D Gaming, respectively (see screenies).

Any ideas what this could be and/or how to fix? Games are utterly unplayable under bootcamp now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

• sc1.png
      sc1.png
      File size:
      253.5 KB
      Views:
    • sc2.png
      sc2.png
      File size:
      245.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Sesshy macrumors newbie

First things to try that have apparently worked well for this particular issue:

Reset the NVRAM. Hold option+command+R+P while powering it on, and keep them held while it reboots until after you've heard the boot tone for the second time.

Reset the SMC. While holding left control + left alt + left shift, hold down the power button for a second or two (your machine won't actually power on), and then release all keys.

Hopefully, problem solved.

3. roxxor thread starter macrumors newbie

OMG it worked. The SMC reset did the trick. Thank you!! :D

4. SchuettS macrumors 6502

This should be a sticky since someone posts a thread about this daily.

5. leman macrumors 604

Its a know issue with the rMBP. Yep, somebody should definitely sticky it...

6. roxxor thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, worth pointing out that after upgrading to the 306.97 nvidia drivers and re-running the test, the experience index for the graphics are up from 7.2 to 7.3 (screenie attached). ;)

Attached Files:

• 7.3.png
      7.3.png
      File size:
      242.7 KB
      Views: