Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I'm both JB and have the virtual memory hack and am noticing worsening freezes and slowdowns, especially in the web browsers (both safari and atomic), and even sometimes the browser will just shut off on me, and thats with only 3 or 4 tabs open. I've also noted decreased accuracy on finger presses registering, don't know if that's related.

I'm getting ready to completely wipe the entire ipad, but I'd rather not lose my JB stuff and am starting to suspect the virtual memory hack. Anyone have any feedback or experience anything like this?

mixvio

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Do you have OpenSSH installed? I've heard a few people complain of slowdown issues and, in particular, touch-screen accuracy when it's installed, even if it's not active.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
the culprit is the VM hack.. remove it and restart twice. it will go back to normal

iThinman

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Depending on your activities, you need to reboot every few days if using the VM hack. This will cause the swapfile to be recreated and start fresh. Otherwise, you likely have two 64mb and 5+ 128mb files that are sitting there and if you look at the access dates, they will be 'right now', meaning that even under a low load, they are being read/write to.

Make a bookmark in iFile to /var/vm and check it every once in a while. I tend to have 4-5 files in there after a good work session of Jump desktop, Atomic with 6 tabs, DocsToGo, GoodReader and other misc. apps. So if I'm surfing the web that night only, I may notice a bit of slowness until I give it a reboot to flush the files. Following, everything if normal/expected.

Using the VM hack on this unit is 100% about balancing expectations with capabilities and understanding each.

citivolus

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2008
I have this problem as well and am running 3.2 JB. Is this problem be reduced/gone in 3.2.1?

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
Depending on your activities, you need to reboot every few days if using the VM hack. This will cause the swapfile to be recreated and start fresh. Otherwise, you likely have two 64mb and 5+ 128mb files that are sitting there and if you look at the access dates, they will be 'right now', meaning that even under a low load, they are being read/write to.

Make a bookmark in iFile to /var/vm and check it every once in a while. I tend to have 4-5 files in there after a good work session of Jump desktop, Atomic with 6 tabs, DocsToGo, GoodReader and other misc. apps. So if I'm surfing the web that night only, I may notice a bit of slowness until I give it a reboot to flush the files. Following, everything if normal/expected.

Using the VM hack on this unit is 100% about balancing expectations with capabilities and understanding each.

Well said.. this is all true, your swap files do indeed continue to grow over time until you do a reboot. Considering it only takes an iPad to reboot in about 20 seconds or less, it's not a huge problem to reboot every couple of days to keep things fresh.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I've been experiencing some freezing of my jailbroken ipad lately also. However, I had already removed the VM had about a week prior. I'm not sure what is causing my freezes, but it seems to happen when I'm tethering and try to connect to the internet via safari. Possibly totally unrelated, and could be an iTether issue.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks guys. I uninstalled VM and it's still kind of freezing a lot, but weirdly so is my iphone4 but not as bad.

I'm going to uninstall openssh and see if that helps, if not it might be time for a fresh reinstall.

mrathee

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
the culprit is the VM hack.. remove it and restart twice. it will go back to normal

lol yea, sure it is. :rolleyes:

with VM hack you should be restarting the iPad regularly (if you multitask heavily) so you can reset the page files.

And as noted by the op, he removed it and it didn't fix anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.