Severe Video/Image Corruption in Applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pearle, Feb 15, 2008.

1. pearle macrumors newbie

I just bought a new 15" MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz, 2GB Ram) a couple of weeks ago and have been experiencing bad video artifacts within applications such as Photo Booth, Aperture, and even Preview (typically when editing a image).

The artifacts are not static and often appear as squiggly colored lines (green and red usually) or as odd shapes. I have uploaded a couple of screen captures that exhibit this behavior to my .mac gallery.

I reinstalled Leopard tonight to see if this solved the problem but it did not. Prior to the reinstallation I had been running a fully updated 10.5.2 install.

My current thinking is that this problem could be due to bad video memory. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this or have any suggestions on how to further troubleshoot.? I will most likely be placing a call to Apple support this weekend or early next week if I don't figure it out.

2. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Such symptoms could be caused by bad video memory, a bad GPU or a bad logic board. I had a 20" Core Duo iMac that had almost exactly what you are describing and it ended up needing a logic board replacement. I would definitely send it back to Apple for service/replacement right away.

3. pearle thread starter macrumors newbie

I dropped it off at the local Apple repair shop. They seem to think it's gonna need a logic board replacement so I left it with them.

Fun times.