SF-2000: Intel's Biggest Fear

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vant, Oct 7, 2010.

1. vant macrumors 65816

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

From what I can tell, the X25-M(ainstream) and the SF-2000 are geared towards two different markets. It's nice for certain, but all these tasty cutting edge enterprise grade features are going to cost tasty cutting edge enterprise level prices.

3. vant thread starter macrumors 65816

You're right.

But the SF-2000 consumer edition will most likely outperform the X25-M G3 in every aspect. Intel never had any issues with it's G2 release. At that time, the G2 was unparalleled in performance.

The G3 has already lost the absolute SSD performance crown before it has even shipped.

4. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Can someone please explain what is Mainstream SSD market. I'm puzzled...

The point is that SSD users need speed, reliability, and why would they pay $$$ for slower drive, if they can invest in the best possible option out there.

I can only understand if Intel drives down the prices substantially, but the current SandForce SSD's are gonna be Intel's competitors, and this current SF generation will again have better prices than Intel.

Let me hear someone reasoning for waiting for Intel's next gen SSD?... :rolleyes:

5. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

I have been watching the development of SSD from the sidelines, and although price is an issue, the bigger issue for me is reliability and space.
    Intel seems to have built a killer reputation for its SSD and space has been the only concern, and so, I think a lot of people like me dont care for 500 MB/s transfers but the reliability that intel represents.

I will be anxiously waiting for G3 and if reviews aren't favorable, well there is always the amazing C300 256 or maybe by that time some other big shot.

Q1 2011 is the time I get my SSD

6. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Intel's G3 is coming Q3 of next year. Q1 is SF-2000 release. You can expect the current model to drop down substantially. Not sure what's currently unreliable with SandForce SSD's. They are superior in every single way in comparison with current Intel offerings.

My 2 cents. :apple:

7. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

8. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

If that's all you care, you can head on to newegg and get a crappy slow SSD for super cheap right now...

9. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

really Q3 ? that sucks i had it all wrong. SF SSD's are great and all but I read on diglloyd that the only one that doenst degrade is the OWC mecury, and then I found out about diglloyd being sponsored by OWC. So I left disappointed in SF SSD's and figured I couldn't go wrong with intel. That is once they increase their capacity.

And so my wait began...

so EDIT

2011 is the year I go SSD ?

10. intelgrande macrumors member

Where do you people get these dates? I've seen so much misinformation on this forum without any sources, especially with the Sandy Bridge release. All reputable sources claim G3 is coming out in Q1, both mainstream and probably enterprise. Read Anand's article from two days ago where he says both "The third generation drives will be available somewhere in the Q4 2010 - Q1 2011 timeframe in capacities ranging from 40GB (X25-V) all the way up to 600GB" and "In addition to the new X25-M there’s a new X25-E due out in Q1 2011."