SF Bay area 3G: What the??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dgpilot, Aug 14, 2008.

1. dgpilot macrumors newbie

What the hell is going on with the 3G in the San Francisco area? Does anyone else have problems?
    I can't check my mail.. I lose calls, and every 10 seconds or so I don't even have service?

All this started after that bloody 2.01 update.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm out at San Francisco State University 4 days a week and the 3G coverage out there is awesome. I was in North Beach at the Stinkin' Rose for dinner and walked around North Beach and had 3-4 bars with 3G and would intermittently switch to the EDGE network with full bars. Didn't have any dropped calls; made four calls and received three calls without incident.

I'm also at UC Berkeley 3 days a week and the 3G coverage is 4-5 bars indoors, and 5 full bars outdoors. Where are you located?

3. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

When I was in San Francisco a couple weeks ago I was getting almost full 3G bars everywhere I went. ATT has some awesome coverage there.

4. n8236 macrumors 65816

My 3G coverage is indifferent depending on which part of SF I'm in. I'm in the Richmond/Cliff House area of San Francisco and I can't say the there's much 3G here.

5. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Copy that, i'll be in my 4th year at SF State and i gotta say the 3G coverage there is pretty awesome...can't wait to see what it's like to tether using NetShare inside the Business building and parts of the Humanities building that suffer from horrible Wi-Fi reception :D

6. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

how is the stinking rose? ive heard so so things about it.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Stinkin' Rose wasn't my first choice, but it wasn't bad. We had 3 children and 4 adults, and were easily seated. We made a reservation at about 6:00 p.m. and we arrived about 6:15 p.m. due to the lack of parking on a Friday night. Large menu, and quite a variety. Prawns - Fettuccine was awesome, and the children's menu was rather small. Service was very good, but food-to-table was longer than we expected. Ceasar's Salad was the best, and the bread was very fresh. Tight quarters, as we kept bumping elbows with other patrons. Must have been about 5-6 other 3G iPhones in there and we were all taking a good look at each others iPhones and having some great conversation with total strangers. Scale of 1 to 5, I would say a 3.5. PM me if you need additional info. :cool:

8. mashinhead macrumors 68020

hope thats not true i'm moving up there soon. but on the good side i haven't updated to 2.0.1

9. velvetelvis macrumors 6502

velvetelvis

thanks for the rose review. not sure if it was worth coming down from sac. spend the night in the city and eat some good garlic.

10. scott99 macrumors 6502a

Stay away from the Stinking Rose, soooooo overrated. A tourist trap. So many better Italian Restaraunts in the North Beach area, and even in the East Bay (Tullio's in Walnut Creek! Awesome).

11. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

OVERRATED for sure!!!!

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm heading to Sacramento in about 2 hours. I'll be at O'Neil Park near 5th Street, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Staying at the La Quinta Inn at Jibbom Street; PM me if you're in the area. I'll give an update on the 3G reception when I get there...:cool:

13. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Dude, been out there once on business -- totally ate at the Stinkin' Rose! Great Italian!

14. CourtneyA1 macrumors newbie

I live in OC and get dropped calls all the time. You'd think I was talking on some cheap POS phone. SF had some issues (when I travelled there 3 wks ago), not as bad as LA though.

Yesterday, I was in the mall and about to just toss this (awesome) iPhone 3G. I finally decided to turn the 3G off and I haven't had a dropped call yet.

I'll turn 3G back on for heavy browsing, but for everyday, I'm going to try and keep the edge for calls.

15. wreckshop macrumors 6502

SF has very good coverage except when you head further out towards the outer Aves and along the Embarcadero.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Driving 80 towards Sacramento 4-5 bars 3G, gawd, this is awesome, but traffic is bumper to bumper.

17. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

My gf goes to UC Davis so iam up in the Sacramento area frequently and yeah, 3G reception there in Sac and further a ways to Folsom/El Dorado Hills is extremely good...you can actually see quite a few cell towers all around.

18. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Sacramento area O'Neil Park sort seedy area, but awesome 5 bars on 3G everywhere!

19. kobefan234 macrumors 6502

kobefan234

20. BrunoMac macrumors regular

BrunoMac

Pretty shoddy on the peninsula! I got no service tonight in San Mateo and that was a bummer. It varies a lot around here!:mad:

21. n8236 macrumors 65816

Ok, seriously, this is pretty F'ed up. I have to redial more than 50% of the calls I make because the initial call has no signal. Wtf is up w/ that. My bars can shift from 1 to 3 bars in a matter of a couple feet.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, drivin' home on I-80 Westbound, great 3G coverage of 4-5 bars consistently. "NO SERVICE" near UC Davis exit, and actually dropped 1 call, but called back, despite the "NO SERVICE" icon and actually got through and completed my conversation. Pretty satisfied with the 3G coverage to Sacramento. Stay away from Davis though...:cool:

23. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Potrero Hill

I get two to three bars here in Potrero Hill, near the new UCSF Med Campus. But I know that many areas in the City, like around Sutter St. in the Richmond, only get Edge.

Recently there was a TV news story that wondered why Silicon Valley, the U.S.' biggest high tech community, could have the worst mobile phone service. :rolleyes:

24. jcde7ago macrumors 6502

jcde7ago

Outside of the center of downtown davis and the immediate vicinity, 3G is almost non-existant in Davis.

25. Ozzhead macrumors member

I live in pleasanton, i get 3g almost everywhere but in my apartment.. then i get full edge but i got wifi so no biggie.