SF/Cupertino cafe suggestions

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Legolamb, May 9, 2007.

1. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Road trip to CA next week, dropping by The Company Store :)) :) ) en route to SF. Any suggestions re: Cupertino and SF cafes or watering holes where there is a good vibe, music, possibly free WiFi, and/or interesting evesdropping, where I can sit, nibble, slurp, and pound away on my laptop?

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

You sit on, nibble, slurp and pound on your laptop... That's probably not good for it.

3. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

It's a 17in MBP; it can take it :p

4. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I guess if they were able to put a G5 in it, it would be a hot seat. :D

5. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Yeah, well you guys are still not telling me where one can engage in such lewd acts of depravity in SF or Cupertino :rolleyes:

6. shecky Guest

shecky

the Grove café on Chestnut in the marina. the most yuppiefied SF cafe in a city filled with yuppiefied cafes.

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Power Exchange. (NSFW)

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Donut Wheel, no joke, is quite the well-known place, it's also on the same street as the Apple HQ, ton of locals older and younger hang out here 'til all hours. :) And Coffee Society is very very close and also well known. Not sure if the Donut Wheel offers wifi but Coffee Society most certainly does. (Of course, I'm biased and assuming you went to the Apple Campus first then drove to Coffee Society, I'd say you'd be better off getting Peet's coffee but that's not being very fair to Coffee Society. :p)

I just remembered, I'm not a huge fan of their food, service, or beer, but BJ's is like, in the Apple HQ parking lot. And around "after work" time, you see quite a few folks w/ Apple badges eating and boozing it up. Not that that would help you get anything or overhear any Appley gossip, but if you just wanted to get a sick geekly thrill from seeing their badges... :p

Okay, this is actually really fun... OP, I hope you consider at least one of my suggestions-- these are literally, places where the locals go. :D Another big time favorite is Hobee's. Go ahead and google up these places I mentioned (well, BJs is nothing special, I meant these other places)-- they're really loved.

I prefer Hobee's to this greasier joint, but Bobbi's Coffee Shop is also really really loved by the locals.

9. vniow macrumors G4

10. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

OMG, you people are amazing. This is techno-tourism!!!!!

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

So did you go? How was it?

12. Legolamb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

I posted a "wish you were here" thread. Like I said, the combo of testosterone and geek power was very nice. Spent a couple of hours at the Donut Wheel. Doesn't matter what the food was like. All I saw were ID'd guys flippently carrying their MB or MBP as if they were frisbees. Wandered near some work areas near the Store, just pretending, dreaming......Oh, I bought a notebook, a T, a hoodie, a luggage tag, and some pencils, and an X Code and Objective C book, and took lots of photos.

13. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

Ok -- if anyone else needs recommendations:

Coupa Cafe in Palo Alto (on Emerson, I think, across from Nola's, close to Stanford University and close to Steve Jobs' house). Comfy place with fantastic coffee, free WiFi, and lots of smart and interesting people.

Ritual Roasters in San Francisco, in the Mission district.
    Also super comfy, very hip, free WiFi and the general hangout for smart and funky high-tech geniuses brainstorming startup ideas, Web 2.0 mashups, etc.