Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

automatictruffle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
Hi guys, could someone please help me out. I am an Android/Chromebook/Windows user - but I come in peace!

I don't own any iOS devices anymore, although I am hoping that changes when the new iPads are announced (bring on trackpad support!) and I am trying to set up an SFTP server that my overseas girlfriend can access.

Up until now we have been using a shared folder on a google drive to share some larger video files with each other, but the problem is not all formats are supported for streaming so she needs to download them before she can play them back but we would like to be able to stream them.

On Android, this can be achieved with Kodi or VLC as they can connect to my SFTP server. I am sure iOS VLC must have this feature as well but looking at the (dated) iOS documentation on the videolan website it only mentions FTP, and I can't see any clear screenshots that would allow me to advise her of the set up process.

Can someone with an iOS device please confirm whether VLC for iOS supports SFTP access, and whether the following set up instructions can be followed with the iOS UI:
1) Download VLC
2) Open and select Local Network
3) Press the + icon (or "Connect to Server")
4) Change the FTP drop down menu to SFTP
5) Enter xx.xx.xx.xx as the server address, xxxxxxx as the username, folder path and name can be left blank
6) Select that network share in the list - It should ask for a password, enter xxxxxx and select remember password
7) Navigate folders and play the file :)

The above is how one would connect and save an SFTP share on VLC Android, does this make sense for VLC on iOS?

Thanks guys!

MrSkoTA

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
This is currently very frustrating to me.

Before all you had to do was select FTP at the top, Put in the server address then port then username and PW. That would be it. Not working for me in VLC for iOS right now and cannot figure out why. Driving me nuts! Not sure if something changed with VLC or my server. (remote seedbox)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.