SG Sport hairline screen scratch. Options?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by zombivenator, Jun 1, 2015.

1. zombivenator macrumors member

Had the watch for just over 2 weeks and yesterday I noticed a hairline scratch directly in the middle of the screen. I've just been wearing it with normal use, no trauma (dropping, scraping up against something, etc) so I don't know what could have caused this.

I was just on a chat with Apple customer support who suggested that I take it in to an Apple Store to get it evaluated, but said it was out of warranty cosmetic damage. I get that, but this thing is supposed to have a highly scratch resistant screen, so to have a scratch after normal use is highly disappointing.

Is it worth my time to take it in or are they just going to tell me to fork over $250 for out of warranty service (which I'm not going to do).

2. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

You could buy Apple Care+ and won't be paying that much in case you wanna have it swapped. Also, a watch will get scratches over time and you won't recognize every time you bump it into something.

3. zombivenator thread starter macrumors member

I thought you couldn't buy Apple Care + after the initial purchase date?

4. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

In fact, you can upto 60 days after purchase. I know, because I did that.

5. zombivenator thread starter macrumors member

I see. So, if I'm reading this right, it's $49.99 for the Apple Care + and then you have to pay $69 to swap it out?

6. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I am from Europe and we have different pricing but that sounds about right from what I've been reading here.

7. jmh286 macrumors member

jmh286

The way I understand it, the $69 is your service fee, and they will determine whether they can repair it, or need to swap it out.

8. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

Well, the gorilla glass on iPhones is also highly scratch resistant and I rarely ever see one over 3 months old that doesn't have at least one scratch. And watches lead a much more precarious life.