SG vs Silver Aluminum

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BlackMamba14, Oct 5, 2016.

1. BlackMamba14 macrumors regular

Having a tough time deciding between the two. Would like to hear what color people chose.

Or experiences people had with their Series 0 models. Thanks

2. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

3. Nell macrumors regular

I prefer the silver. When I first looked at it I thought it was too pale but the more I looked at it the more I liked it. For me, and it's all down to personal choice, the grey is too dark (if it'd been iPhone 6/6S space grey I'd have chosen it).

I went for the aluminium in part because I dodn't want to spend more on a first generation product and in part because I thought the stainless steel was too corporate looking for my tastes. If I got another watch, I'd be tempted by the stainless steel to give myself the choice. The Series 2 stainless steel only comes with straps I either have already (white sport, Milsanese loop) or don't want (leather ones) so I'm not tempted.

4. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

How did your silver hold up over time?

5. blwade macrumors 6502

I originally thought about getting the silver for the diversity of it, but I knew I wouldn't be happy with a white band (so that in of itself was a 'negative mark' towards it). I tried one on in the store and decided I didn't like the way it looks on me - especially with the white band. I still feel that it's too 'pale' and doesn't do well with my skin tone. Just don't prefer it. If they sold the silver aluminum with a black band, I might have been swayed, but ultimately I went with space gray and love it.

I don't have a problem with a limited choice in bands... I don't think a stainless steel lug would bother me too much, but I'll likely stick with black bands (except for maybe a couple fun sport colors for occasional use).

I don't think I'll ever pick the stainless steel at the current price... the sapphire crystal and the look of the stainless steel aren't enough to sway me to spend $200 more at a price of $600.

6. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I prefer the darker SG. The lighter color aluminums (silver, gold, rose gold) just look cheaper to me as imitations of metals they mimic. I find the darker gray more sporty, but just depends on the look you like. I also prefer the alum weight over the Stainless Steel too, since I like it for exercise and active wear.

7. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

The silver aluminum model isn't mimicking silver - aluminum itself is silver in color.

8. Hedberg macrumors member

I had some of the same thoughts as you, OP, before buying. Ended up with the aluminium due to more bands (in my opinion) being more viable :) Bought the saddle brown and the milanese loop (see pictures). I couldn't be happier!

I can recommend the website mixyourwatch.com for trying the different combinations of bands and cases of the Apple Watch :)

IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0253.JPG

9. BlackMamba14 thread starter macrumors regular

Pictures look great! Had the Silver SS for Gen 0 but was disappointed by the resale value. Especially since I'm pretty sure I'll be upgrading again next year.