SGP AF vs SQ

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by g8orballboy, May 8, 2010.

1. g8orballboy macrumors regular

Anybody know the difference? I know AF is probably better at preventing glare and fingerprints, but the SGP website claims that the SQ also diminishes prints and glare, though I would assume the screen quality with the SQ would be better than the AF. Anybody have any thoughts on the differences between these two protectors and which is better?

Thanks

2. dread macrumors 6502a

3. orlandocano macrumors regular

The af eliminates fingerprints and glare completely.. But the picture quality of the screen suffers ALOT!! Anyone who tells you otherwise is not being truthful.. My girlfriend who cannot even see the difference between HD and standard def tvs asked "what the he'll did u do to ur iPad screen?" the first day she saw it after the AF install.. I actually emailed sgp to complain because their website claimed I wouldn't lose any clarity with their af protector.. They immedialtey shipped me an sq that I should be receiving in the mail tomorrow.. I have not seen it yet but according to dread's review, the sq seems to be the real deal.. I can't wait to get my screen clarity back.. The af screen blurring is so noticeable that wallpapers I used to use before installing the af screen now look blurry and pixelated around the edges... The only reason i have not removed it yet is because I'm worried about scratching the screen... But I am desperate to get the beauty of the iPad screen back to 100% .. Again some will tell you the drop off with the af screen is negligible... Posts like that got me to buy it... But I have not been satisfied since the day I installed it... Can't wait to get the sq.. I will come back and post my opinion on the sq in a couple of days.. Hope this helped... Sgps customer service is great and their product quality is excellent! But I am a whore for pretty HD!! I need my screen clarity back

4. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

THANK YOU for your thorough post, I appreciate it. I would love for you to post about the pros and cons of the sq when you get it. I really want a screen that protects and at least limits the fingerprints and glare, while still maintaining the beauty of the screen. If the SQ makes the glare and fingerprints less noticeable, I'll go with that. But if you have the same glare and fingerprints as the original glass screen with the SQ, the I'll take the hit on quality and go with the AF. I'm not just looking for protection, but want some degree of glare/fingerprint reduction.

5. dread macrumors 6502a

The sq is definitely much better for glare and finger prints than the glass. I only have to clean the screen once a day now instead of around 10 times. I didn't even need to wipe it down after my wife's 2 hour plant vs zombies marathon. Plus my iPad is usable outside now.

6. orlandocano macrumors regular

G8orballboy.. U a uf fan/grad?? I'm class of 07.. And of course I will post my experience with the sq as soon as ive used it for a few hours.. Dreads description of it seems to be exactly what I want from a screen protector

7. orlandocano macrumors regular

How do you clean it? Just wipe it with little microfiber rag that sgp included? Do u use the liquid they provide as well?

8. dread macrumors 6502a

Just a quick wipe with the included cloth. Very easy and seems to be getting easier with use. The included cloth is good quality and very big.

9. orlandocano macrumors regular

Yup I love the cloth they sent.. And they let me keep my old one from the AF screen that they are replacing for me.. So I get to keep both :)

10. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

Yup. Born in Gainesville. Graduated grad school at UF in 07 as well. Worked for the football team as an equipment manager (hence the name) from 03-06. Best time of my life. GO GATORS!!!!

11. orlandocano macrumors regular

Awesome... I did my undergrad from 2000 to 2007 lol.. I could have finishec in 4 yes but I was having too much fun.. So I just worked at the local sprint store part time and took 2 classes a semester for the following 2.5 years... I actually got into a few ivy league schools and decided for UF strictly because of gator football and bball... Would not change a thing if I could do it all over again... Been to at least 5 home football games since 2000.. Plan to go to another 5 this year and going to Tuscaloosa in October.. GO GATORS!!!

12. MrDeeds macrumors newbie

Video comparison of the two.

Helped me out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLUUqQHn68I

I ended up getting the anti-glare from power support.
    It just looked like the crystal only added more glare to the ipad.

13. dread macrumors 6502a

Good video review. I wish he compared the naked screen to the crystal though. I couldn't deal with the anti glare myself.

14. Prolanman macrumors newbie

I originally installed the SQ. The clarity was excellent. It still left to many fingerprints for my liking. I went with the AF which cut back on the fingerprints drastically. This is the one I'm using. Keep in mind that there will always be a little lose in clarity with any anit fingerprint/anit glare screen protector.

15. orlandocano macrumors regular

So Ive had the sq on all day.. Screen clarity is perfect and I cannot tell it's on there.. Fingers feel like they just glide on the screen.. Clarity and responsiveness of the screen are virtually identical to when the screen is naked.. Still getting fingerprints but like dread said, a lot less than with naked screen..

I love it and I am very happy with e sgp sq.. But remember, I love it because I really value screen clarity and sharpness and I could live with a little bit of glare and fingerprints...

16. g8orballboy thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you everyone for your responses. I just ordered the AF because I've about had it with the fingerprints and glare. I'll let you all know what I think once I get it installed. Hope the clarity isn't cut done TOO much.