Sgp crystal screen protector review

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by dread, May 11, 2010.

1. dread macrumors 6502a

I just installed my sgp crystal screen protector and clear body protection film so I will talk about both individually.

Screen protector
    Install
    I got this installed without a single air bubble. Make sure to install in a dust free room without any breeze. I did have some lint stuck under the protector but was able to get this out using a sticky sheet from a lint and pet hair roller. These work better than scotch tape because they are much bigger. Overall the install went smoothly and the fit is perfect. The cutout for the home button is a closer fit than my power support protector on my iPhone.

Performance.
    I was worried I would get more finger prints with this protector than I was getting on the naked glass but the opposite is true. In fact, my favorite aspect of this protector is that I barely get any fingerprints. That being said it is slightly more difficult to get them off. I'm glad I went with the crystal over the antifinger print protector. There is also less glare making the iPad easier to use outside, but of course the af protector will be superior if reduced glare is what you are looking for.
    The screen protector has a slighty plasticy feel and it almost feels like the screen is cushioned when typing. If sensitivity is diminished it is only slightly. My fingers glide easily over the protector. In fact, I have less trouble playing games like shuffle board now than I did when it was naked. This is likely the result of the fewer finger prints that can cause my finger to get caught up on the screen.
    Clarity of the screen is the same as naked as far as I can tell. You cannot even tell the protector is on. Overall i am very pleased with the performance.

Clear body protection
    I got the full body protection with the screen protector as a package. I only installed the pieces that cover the back of the iPad including the apple logo. There are pieces that cover the home button and bezel but I ran out of the spray adhesive before getting to these pieces.
    Install
    The install of the body protection is more difficult than the screen protector. The issue I had is when I was pushing out the extra fluid with the included tool the protector would stretch over the edges. I had to pull it up two times and reapply to get it centered each time using more adhesive. I finally got it on and it looked horrible. However, after 24 hours it looks much better. You can still see some creases when you look at it in an angle under light, but I can't feel them as they are very shallow. Given another chance I'm sure I could do a much better job. I would imagine that the protectors that are not clear would be easier to install as they will not stretch are you will not be able to see the imperfections.
    Performance
    The protector has a rubbery fell which gives a nice grip when holding with one hand. It is clear that there is no way to scratch the iPad through the film. It has been cold here lately and the edges of the iPad are freezing but the protector prevents the back from being cold to the touch. I just wish I did a better job on the install but overall I'm happy

Fit inside the apple case.
    I have no problem getting the iPad in and out of the apple case. The edges of both protectors stay firmly planted. Overall, the protectors along with the aplle case provide excellent protection.

Recommendation.
    I highly recommend the screen protector and would recommend it over the power support if the quality of the ps is identical to the iPhone version. This protector attracts less finger prints and has a higher quality feel.

I recommend that body protection but would suggest getting the carbon fiber or vinyl varieties over the clear. It is just too difficult to get in on perfectly. Although mine appears to be getting better by the hour so I will update if all the creeses work themselves out.

2. zdblue11 macrumors member

zdblue11

i am pretty sure that SGP and PS both use the same material they used on the iPads as they did in the iPhones for screen protectors.
    I haven't tried the PS Crystal iPad screen protector but I did try the PS Crystal on iPhone and the SGP Crystal on iPhone.

They pretty much feel the same to me. I believe both of these screen protectors were made in Japan. (What a coincidence?:eek:)
    The difference is that the PS iPad Crystal costs $24.95 and the SGP Crystal costs $21.99. If you go with either PS Crystal or SGP Crystal, you can't go wrong.

Link to PS Crystal:
    http://www.powersupportusa.com/product/list/ipad

Link to SGP Crystal(They call it SQ):
    http://www.sgpstore.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ipad

Done!

3. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I'm not knocking power support. Their screen protectors are great, but I am impressed with the sgp compared with my iphone ps.

4. orlandocano macrumors regular

I actually got the sgp af screen protector.. Some it definitely eliminates fingerprints and glare but it also eliminates screen clarity and brightness... It actually made all small fonts look like a blurry mess... I emailed sgp and comlained and they immediately sent me a crystal clear screen protector for free! I did not even have to send the af protector back.. I'm supposed to get the crystal protector tomorrow and the op just made me feel really happy that I am going from af to crystal

5. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just to give an update after a week of use.
    The screen protector scratches extremely easily. I am very careful wiping it down and always keep the cover on the apple case closed when I'm not using it. I have about 10 faint scratches on the protector already. I can only see one when the screen is on but it is still disappointing. I know that the screen protector is supposed to protect the screen and will get scratched but my power support on my iPhone was much more durable. I breath on this one and it gets scratched.

The clear incredible shield has been permanently stained by the apple case. This is quite disappointing as sgp shows there backing working with the apple case all over their site. I have contacted them about the issue but they have not responded to the two emails that I sent.

Overall I'm disappointed with how these are holding up after such a short time considering the cost. I'm also disappointed isn sgp's non existent customer service.

6. batman75 macrumors 6502

I have the SGP Steinheil Crystal screen protector for my iPad too. I am not happy about it.

I have a bubble on the bezel area I can't get rid off because it caught dust on the underside during the install.

The bigger issue is that the screen protector gripsndirt so its harder to clean than the glass and you need fluid not just a lens cloth.

Further it seems to meaningfully diminish screen brightness and seems to scratch just like you said.

I am thinking about getting the Powersupport one to replace it. however I will wait till Apple Store has it in stock and have them install it so I am not responsible for bubbles. This way if the installer messes it up, he will have to use another one for free.

7. dread thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found it better for finger prints than the naked glass. As far as the dust goes it's easy to get out using tape. I don't think apple is carrying scream protectors anymore. I have used ps on my iPhone and they are quality, but are worse than the sgp for finger prints.

Sgp finally got back to me so hopefully they will do something about my issue.

8. batman75 macrumors 6502

On the finger prints I find the sgp picks up less fingerprints than the glass, but once they are on the screen it is harder to remove the finger prints. You pretty much have to use lens cleaner - polishing cloth alone doesn't remove prints from my sgp screen shield.