SGP Crystal vs Power Support Crystal for iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by zooby, Sep 6, 2010.

1. zooby, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. in0va3 macrumors member

Based On Opinion

How about the SGP Oleophobic? I don't think that would change clarity of the screen. I don't know about the Zagg though, since I haven't read much reviews about them and all they talk about is that it's military-grade film and it won't scratch up.

But comparing both crystals would be more relative.

I guess it's based on personal opinion, like the feel (does your finger glide or drag), how much the film would scratch etc.

I would really like to know since I'm choosing between the two too! And it's only about a $1 difference.

I'm currently using a film that the manufacturer gave me. And it's total crap, theres rainbow effects even though it's really clear. And oil constantly sticks on the screen so when I slide my finger, I feel all the build-up of dirt and oil. I always have to wipe away everything thats on the screen which is annoying. But the screen is really smooth, so I'll just wait till the screen peels or bubbles then I'll get the SGP or Power Support's protective screen.

3. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Do these screen protectors show more fingerprints or less fingerprints than a naked screen?

4. Che Castro macrumors 603

i did not like this protector, after using the phone u could see the oil on the screen when it was on and off

it was hard to clean with your hands or shirt, u needed to use a spray to clean it

it was too greasy ]

the crystal ones only collect fingerprints and u cant see them with the screen on

the Oleophobic one collects grease/oil and u can see it with the screen on,its hard to clean

I know this isnt very popular here but i would go with the zagg and have someone at bestbuy or a zagg vendor install it for you

you dont see that much fingerprints or oil with the zagg its just a lil sticky but that goes away after a few days

5. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Got the SGP. And I must say, it has a very non-slip feeling. It's very weird, since the surface is smooth as glass. And Oils do tend to stick hard to it. Should've called it Oleophilic.

But when clean, it looks like nothing's on. :)

6. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Both crystal screen protectors are nice. I used the PS Crystal for a few weeks and after a while the fingerprints and oils were getting harder to clean off. I've switched back to the SGP crystal so we'll see if it has the same problem after a while.

The SGP Oleophobic, because it's oleophobic, does get really oily really fast. I prefer the crystals... so far.

7. chanerz macrumors 6502a

8. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

My SGP oleo had scratches on it after a couple weeks where the PS crystal did not. Also the oils that accumulated on the oleo disrupted the retina display almost making it look like an anti-fingerprint film with all the (noise, pixels) whatever you want to call them.

Trashed both after a month. Might want to check out PS anti-glare, happy with the install and never looked back.

9. lvyelion macrumors member

Having used both, I'd say they both are nice at first couple of weeks. But then the SGP ones showed scratches and more attractive to oil. The PS holds well even after a month, attract a bit more oil though, but not as bad as SGP ones, no scrathes at all. My experience with SGP products is they look/perform well in the first few weeks, then they start to degrade/wear-out.

I'm currently using PS anti-glare, worked very well after a month

10. matmont1305 macrumors newbie

PS anti glare FTW!
    Tried the SPG Ultra Clear and removed it after 3 days as it was too hard to clean properly, just seemed to smear the crap all around the screen.

11. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

There was already a thread on this you can check it out here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=10884222&highlight=#post10884222

But here's a repost of what I said there:

I'm assuming you're referring to the SGP Ultra Crystal vs Power Support Crystal film set.

To the trained eye, the SGP Ultra Crystal is very slightly clearer than the PS Crystal, but for the average user you won't notice a difference.

Both screens are fingerprint magnets and both are semi-prone to scratching.

The SGP has a more precise cut and thus is slightly more difficult to install, but it's harder to notice that there is a screen protector on because there are no gaps between the home button and the screen protector like there are on the PS.

If you don't anticipate on needing customer service, I would recommend the SGP. If you think you do, then choose Power Support as SGP is really slow.

In general my recommendations are:
    Matte: Power Support HD Anti-Glare
    Middle-Ground: SGP Steinheil Ultra Oleophobic
    Clear: SGP Steinheil EX Ultra Crystal

12. in0va3 macrumors member

Power Support HD Anti-Glare

I think that the Power Support HD Anti-Glare would be the best film now?

13. Loves2spoon macrumors 65816

Loves2spoon

I've tried just about every screen protector and I'm
    fnally happy with the PS anti-glare. I would recommend to everyone.

14. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

If you like Matte screens it is recommended.

15. zooby, Sep 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

16. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

The SGP Ultra Crystal is clearer than the Power Support Crystal, but unless you have a trained eye you won't notice a difference. For the average consumer, going with the PS Crystal is probably the better bet as their customer support is much better.

17. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

can someone answer this question: do these films show more fingerprints than a naked iphone screen?

18. carlili4190 macrumors regular

I just got the PS crystal today and It doesn't show any fingerprints for me

19. aleni macrumors 68020

i applied PS crystal films, it doesn't affect the retina display quality, it's very clear but i hate the sticky feel when i play games that use d-pad buttons like Pro Evolution Soccer or FIFA 11.

20. johnny168 macrumors member

How do the screen protectors compare in feel and sliding??

21. aleni macrumors 68020

feels a bit sticky, the glass smooth feel from naked iphone is lost.

22. lvyelion macrumors member

That anoys me as well. I now use a PS Anti-Glare, feels great! Very smooth

23. Menzo macrumors member

You'll find it becomes more smooth after usage Aleni.

24. aleni macrumors 68020

yeah tonight i feel it's alot smoother than in the morning.

@ivyelion: does it affect the retina display quality?