SGP Genuine Leather Grip Legend Black for Apple iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by mluters, Aug 19, 2010.

1. mluters macrumors member

I just picked up the SGP Genuine Leather Grip Legend Black for Apple iPhone 4 and it seems well made with a great fit. I was looking for slim leather case with some protection and this case fits my needs. I'm also using the SGP STEINHEIL ULTRA OLEOPHOBIC Anti-oil Screen Protector for Apple iPhone 4 and it fits well with the leather case.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_28_89/products_id/1525

Attached Files:

2. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

How tight is the fit? I've got Bestskinsever shield on it, do you think it will squeeze in?

3. Mr. Biggles macrumors 6502

Mine is on it's way. Cheap alternative to the Vaja grip. Hope the quality is comparable.

4. mluters thread starter macrumors member

The fit is tight... but my oleophobic screen protector works fine. I looked at the web site for Bestskinever and I couldn't tell how thick those things are? My guesss is that it will work with the SGP leather grip.

5. Kimball macrumors regular

Hows the feel? Like very hard plastic + leather coating? Or does it have a more uh, quality-kind of feel?

Would appreciate some photos as well! Can never have to many photos ;)

6. Jackson743 macrumors member

But, the reason to have a case if to protect the phone on a drop. The Vaja case is higher quality and looks better, but it has that exposed corner.

7. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

mluters, how does this case protects the front part of the iPhone?

I like how it looks, but I want something to prevent the front from being damaged if I ever drop the phone.

Thanks.:)

8. seajewel macrumors 6502

i bought the vintage edition and got it in two days. Ordered Thursday night, got it on Saturday, no joke. i really like it, it feels nice, looks nice. I just hope the leather doesn't get super dirty easily, I've had light suede-ish leather just show dirt like no other sometimes. Maybe I should have gone for the black leather. we'll see though.. it is very soft and fits well.

9. meistervu macrumors 65816

I dropped my phone for the first time onto a wood floor with this case on. I think it hit the floor on the side with a soft thud. The way it feels, I guess protection on all sides other than the front is excellent: you get leather on the outside, plastic in the middle, and soft cloth on the inside, all of which would absorb the energy and distribute the shock to a larger area. From what I have seen of a YouTube video drop testing of the iPhone with a bumper from various heights and how well the phone fared, I think back and side protection of this case is more than sufficient.

What about the front drop? Unless you manage to drop you phone so that it lands flat with the face down, the side protection is going to take care of the impact. Now if you manage to do that, there is a thin raised lip that will take away probably most if not all of the impact, unless you hit a raise surface such as a rock, in which case no case short of something with thick screen protection is going to help if any.

So let's assume that the front face flat drop is the most damaging drop. What is the probability of that happening? I am talking about a drop where the face of the phone lands flat on the ground. Let's start with the chance that you drop the phone over the years that you care, say 2 years. My records so far is 1, but let's make it 5. Chances are you drop it while holding it some what vertical, so of the 5 times you drop it, what's the chance of it falling flat on its face? The odd is slim to none. Now, add to that very slim chance the protection you have with a slightly raised lip of the case. I think your odds are pretty good.

Now let's look at the big picture. I could get a more protective case which would get in the way of my daily enjoyment of the phone because the thick raised lip and screen protector, or I can choose a case like this with a minimal raised lip which doesn't hinder my access to the edge of the screen (the reason I returned the Incase Slider), yet according my estimate provide sufficient protection. I think I'll take my chance.

But then I am one who got this case primarily for the way it makes the phone feel in my hand. I love the way the phone looks and would have used it without a case (tried that for a month) had the edges been rounder.

10. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll order this case after receiving the free one. Just to see if I like the one they send me for free.

And I agree, the probabilities are low.

11. meistervu macrumors 65816

think of leather shoes

I have the same case for a month now, and also had second thought. I was torn between black and vintage edition. I love black, but too many of my things are black so I went with the vintage edition. At first the color was a bit too light to my liking, but since then it has darken a bit and I like it more as time goes on. As for it getting dirty, it was one of my concern too, but then I looked at my shoes use presumably similar material. Well, over the years I probably wiped the upper leather of my shoes one, and it still looks great. One could argue whether shoes or phone cases accumulates more dirt, but my guess would be shoes. I rest my case :)

12. Marinesciguy macrumors newbie

New to the world of Iphones and posting on MacRumors here (though I read them quite a bit).
    This was the first case I ordered (though second one I actually received). I can't say I was overly impressed with this case though as it arrived with a scratch already in the leather and it caused my ps screen to bubble a bit on the corners.
    In general the look was pretty nice (aside from the scratch) but it just felt kind of cheap overall. What's sad is after two days of using it I just went back to my cheap ebay plastic case that I had bought as a holdover so I would have something while waiting for this to arrive.

13. meistervu macrumors 65816

I assumed you didn't get a vintage edition, which doesn't have a shiny leather surface and thus pretty immune to scratches. I can scratch the case with my nail and the marks would barely be visible and would disappear when I wipe it with my shirt. But then there are people who like scratches on their leather things: they add characters.

As far as construction, fit, and finish, mine is really good. I was expecting a reasonable job of glued leather on plastic with bunched up material at the corners, but it exceeded my expectation. Even the corners look nice and smooth. The only nit pick I have is that the back is slightly concave (0.5 mm at most), probably due to their trying to make a tight fit on the sides. I don't know how many people would notice this, but I am a perfectionist.

Mine came with a screen protector, but I don't see the need for one. I don't use them.