SGP Linear EX Color or Neo Hybrid 2S Snow?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jedolley, Dec 31, 2011.

1. jedolley macrumors 68000

I think I am narrowing my bumper/case search down to these two. I believe the difference between the two is that the Linear EX bumper is a 2 piece plastic bumper where as the Neo Hybrid 2S is a 2 piece (plastic and silicone) bumper.

I am leaning towards the Linear EX, but haven't found many reviews for it. Also, it seems like the Neo Hybrid is more popular here. Is there a reason people seem to prefer the Neo Hybrid over the Linear EX?

I read some people reporting the silicone band on the Neo Hybrid starting to sag, is that still the case and if so, is there a bigger problem on the Linear EX that keep people away from it?

Thanks in advance for any input.

2. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

The linear is more like a case. I believe it's a two piece (top and bottom) with a solid back no silicone.

The hybrid is more like bumper. Inner silicone/rubber with a plastic/polycarb. outer ring.

I have been using a the hybrid for a month now. Nice bumper, however the plastic and silicone are pretty thin around the charging port...so it does move slightly.

A nice solid bumper.

3. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

The Linear EX (both Meteor and Color series) appear to be a bumper style case and do not come with a back (other than a back screen protector). I believe you are referring to the Linear (Non-EX) version that has a backplate.

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Neo Hybrid 2S Snow has a problem with discoloration. I would stay away from it.

5. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

Yes I was referring to the regular linear series...

However it appears that the linear ex is still a two piece bottom and top no silicone...,

6. xyfish macrumors member

the linear ex is relatively new, thats why it hasnt got much reviews yet

7. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

I have the linear ex color series in satin silver and love it. I did not like the hybrid snow because of all of the reports that the rubber discolors.

8. bello2185 macrumors newbie

I used the first SGP Neo Hybrid EX in white with my iPhone 4 for over a year and didn't had any problems with it, the color also was the same as when it was new. Now I'm using the Neo Hybrid 2S Snow, also in white, for my iPhone 4S for around two months and it's still perfectly fine. I also took some pics where you can see that it doesn't have any discoloration problems. :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. jdsun1 macrumors newbie

Yeah some trolls on here that might try to steer people away from the Hybrid Snow series and lie about discoloration when it actuality they just post low-res pics that make things look bad.

10. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

I was one of those people that posted pics of the discoloration and I took the pics with my iPhone 4s and it did discolor. Why would someone try to keep someone else from buying a case? Once and a while you will get a defective case. Never once did I say to not to buy or stay away from the case. I posted my experience just incase it happened to anyone else. Stop assuming things before you have the facts!

11. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I ended up going with the Linear EX mainly because it doesn't look as think as the Hybrid and less parts to worry about. I just have to wait for my iPhone now...

12. Catcher macrumors regular

Can someone tell me which of these two bumpers is the thinnest?

Also how they compare in quality to an apple bumper?

I'm 'this' far away from pulling the trigger on a Linear Ex Color.

13. DarkKnightAZ macrumors newbie

Im also interested about how thin this case is ?
    Im currently using the Griffin reveal frame.

If this is thinner on then it, Im willing to switch.

Thanks in Advance
    DK

14. jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

I have the Linear EX, but no iPhone (not until next week). I can measure the width of the case though, if that's what you are looking for.

15. DarkKnightAZ macrumors newbie

That would be awesome.. Is the side straight up and down or rounded ?

Thanks
    DK

16. jedolley, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

jedolley thread starter macrumors 68000

It's about 7/16 inches wide or about 1.11 cm. The sides are curved a bit, but the edges are straight. I'll take a macro pic later when my camera is charged.

EDIT: Pics are added. Had to use my P&S, so quality isn't great, but I think it shows what I was describing.

Attached Files:

17. DarkKnightAZ macrumors newbie

Thank You very much!!

18. DarkKnightAZ macrumors newbie

Thank You very much!

Exactly what I wanted to see!

Can't wait to see it on your phone...

19. Bromerz macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a few questions about the linear EX series if anyone can help me.

Does the bumper overlap the from of the screen with a lay on the table design? I currently have a griffin reveal frame and whilst it looks good it doesn't play too nicely with my front and back protectors on some points. I'm using Media Devil clear for both front and back (I highly recommend btw). Basically how does the case play with protectors.

Secondly I'm not a big fan of the colour choices available, I'm toted by the red but don't like the white, if I was to buy the black color series and the red meteor series would I be able to mix the red with the black?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help me with these questions.

20. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

SGP Linear EX on white iPhone :). (black on black is sexy too)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. denness544 macrumors member

Trolls? Really? I own the Neo Hybrid S2 in white and the silicone does in fact discolor over time. I love the case but after taking the case on and off a few times, the silicone becomes loose.

Not being a troll here but simply stating what I see with MY case. And I'm not telling you NOT to buy it or not. Take the information and decide for yourself, no one is forcing you to not buy this case.

22. Boston Rhett macrumors regular

I have the Neo Hybrid 2S in Dante Red and Satin Silver. I like being able to mix and match the different plastic frames and silicone bands. That being said, I have noticed some looseness on the SIM card side of the case. The silicone band just doesn't seem to want to lie flush against my phone. It would be negligible unless you're OCD like I am.

Other than that, I think it's a great bumper-style case. It feels great in hand and is sturdy (the plastic around the charging port is indeed thin but doesn't feel brittle at all). Plus, it really doesn't add much bulk at all. It provides lay on the table protection on both front and back, the buttons are very tactile and responsive, and it works just fine with front and back screen shields/skins and side wraps. My only gripe, again, is the slight looseness I've noticed on the side. Oh also, I should add that you might have some trouble with larger headphone connectors.

23. gjb11 macrumors regular

Grab an SGP linear EX. I made the switch from the Neo hybrid and don't regret it at all.

24. Spitfire411 macrumors member

The headphone jack opening looks very small. Do any of you use headphones with a larger plug? I returned a Speck case because I couldn't fully plug my aux cable into the headphone jack.