SGP Neo Hybrid Bumper knock off review

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by TEHi, Apr 11, 2011.

1. TEHi macrumors regular

I always liked the design of the SGP Neo Hybrid bumper, but the original one at more than $25, it was just too expensive for such a simple product, so I ordered a "knock off" one at DX for $6.90.

Never handled an original one, but today when I recieved and installed the "fake", was surprised by the quality and perfect fitment, I couldn't tell a single defect normally found in cheap cases. It also comes with a clear screen protector kit, not a bad one but the cutouts are rather large, unlike the $1.6 protectors from SW-box, which fit perfectly to the phone.

Here are some pics of the case paired with an also "knock off" vapor carbon fiber back ($5 from ebay).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Got the links for the item?
    Also do they have any other colors they sell?

Looks great man!

3. TEHi thread starter macrumors regular

4. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

5. TEHi thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah they are safe to buy from, shipping is slow, like any other asia-based webshop.

6. lbhskier37 macrumors member

Can you tell me what the diameter of the headphone jack hole is? I am looking for a bumper case but I have a pretty big jack on my AKG headphones and have been having a tough time finding a case that I like to fit them.

7. barachus macrumors regular

I have had both the real and knockoff, the only differences i could find were

This silicone on the knockoff is slightly thicker on the sides and the raised edges
    the sliver paint on the buttons will rub off after about 2 days, the real one holds up for at least a few weeks

the knockoff is well made and i doubt i would be willing to pay that much for the genuine one again

8. psywzrd macrumors 68030

sw-box has a knockoff of the SGP Neo Hybrid as well.

9. kicko macrumors 65816

link?

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

I've ordered around $2k worth of stuff from them over the past year and yeah they're safe.

Shipping is snail-slow though. I live in Hong Kong (literally 1 kilometer away from their offices, from which they ship their items) and items can easily take 1~2 months to get here after they get their items 'in stock' (they procure the items after you pay for them, so it can take a long time for them to actually ship the item even if it says it's 'in stock').

It's cheap though, and with free shipping, I guess we can't complain :)

11. TEHi thread starter macrumors regular

Also ordered a pair of bumpers.

They fit tight and feels well made, uses a hard plastic center frame so not as flappy as al silicone ones. Couldn't ask more for $2

[​IMG]

12. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

How long did you wait til you received your package?
    If it's like 2 weeks. then bummer but still can't complain with the price you pay.

13. TEHi thread starter macrumors regular

Volume and Lock button have a silver paint but I prefer in black so rubbed them with acetone.. there is still some left but I bet will wash out within a week.

[​IMG]

As for the regular bumpers.. go to DX and type the item numbers in the searchbox:

From 47522 to 47527

14. kicko macrumors 65816

15. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

@TEHi
    How long did you wait for this to arrive?
    When did you purchase and receive it?

thanks! nice shots btw!

16. TEHi thread starter macrumors regular

About 3 weeks or 15 working days, I live in panama.

They were taken with the new olympus XZ-1 in auto mode, very impressive depth of field for such a compact P&S.

17. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Many of the compacts in 'macro mode' are very good. Thanks for the review, appreciate it. I'm on a quest to find good cheap screens and cases :). I have a bunch coming from eBay (same supplier in Asia).

18. JASApplications macrumors 65816

19. narjisse macrumors newbie

would this case fit Verizon iPhone?

20. Shenaniganz08 macrumors 6502

21. 5354 macrumors member

ordered 1 dante red.
    but the color looks pink IMO. lol

anyway... the cutting of the silicon cover is badly aligned for mine.

other than that, the whole product almost looks value for money with its retail packaging.

22. mjfan82 macrumors regular

I have the same bumpers.....the only thing I don't like is that it is hard to use the phone with accessories because the port is too deep on the bottom of the bumper...

23. BodegaBay macrumors newbie

I ordered the SGP Neo Hybrid-like "Protective Bumper" and Apple Bumper-like "Stylish Bumper" from DX back on 4/14. The order shipped 4/15 and I just received it on 4/26. 11 calendar days from HK to West Coast US. Not bad!

I though the quality and fitment are both very good. @ $9.37USD for both bumpers - great value.

24. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Ordered one, mine just broke (near the dock) so this should work as a replacement.