SGP oleophobic "wet install"

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by bigtrip, Jul 16, 2010.

1. bigtrip macrumors newbie

So I just got my SGP oleophobic screen protectors in and try the install. To make a long story short, I suck at putting the dry install films on. I wound up off center a little and in trying to correct it got some dust underneath. While trying to correct that with the scotch tape method, I get fingerprints underneath it. At this point I am so frustrated I don't mind trying something crazy.

So I took the now "ruined" film and rinsed it off with a little dish soap and water and tried again with the wet install procedure like a zagg.

The results are flawless! This protector is the best I have ever seen.

2. Scooby4355 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip, ive runined one set by exactly the same problems you had.

Got another set coming, im going to line up the protector with the home button first this time but if it all goes wrong ill use the 'wet' method.

Did you use the solution that came with the zagg?

3. pflau macrumors 6502

You're not the first one who discovered it is possible to wet install dry films. I used to wet install my Power Support films.

4. pflau macrumors 6502

To wet install you use water mixed with a little baby shampoo. Trick is to have a liquid just soapy enough so you can move the film before it dries.

5. Scooby4355 macrumors newbie

Thanks. Fingers crossed i wont need to wet install but just incase this is good news.

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

What I do, and you will probably think I'm nuts, is use latex gloves to apply the film so I don't get fingerprints on it.:eek:

7. OC513 macrumors 6502

+1....not so nuts.....works perfectly

8. F1 Speed macrumors member

Funny you should mention it. I did the exact same thing last night while installing my screen protector and had the same results but using an SGP Ulta Crystal film :mad:
    Got a little off center and a dust partical or 2 and was unhappy. Thought I ruined it taking it off so I tryed the same technique (wash with soapy water and tryed a wet install) and came out with excellant results. Not sure if the edges will stay down over a period of time but should last untill new Oleophobic Films arrive :D

9. Error Type -43 macrumors member

I was in the exact same situation as you. For best results, shake off the excess water. You might notice some rainbow effect and watermarks but squeegie out as much as you can and the rest will evaporate in a day or two.

10. psywzrd macrumors 68030

If you have to soak the screen protector in solution, how do you know which side is which? Are you just real careful to remember which is the front and which is the back? I know it's easy for the back protector because of the camera and flash cutouts. For front protectors that only have a cutout for the home button and the earpiece the screen protector will look the same from either side.

11. bigtrip thread starter macrumors newbie

You can easily feel one side is noticeably sticky with the oleophobic. I can't say for anything else.

12. F1 Speed macrumors member

Day 2 after Ultra Crystal wet install and no signs of the film lifting with the :apple: Bumper installed :cool:

F.W.I.W., the Ultra Crystal is a finger print magnet but is crystal clear. I will definatly be installing the Oleophobic protector when it arrives in hopes that it will be a little easyer to keep clean.

13. psywzrd macrumors 68030

Do you have any kind of protection on the back? I have front and back Bodyguardz right now and the bumper definitely lifts up those shields. I don't want that to happen with the Oleophobic once I put it on so I'm wondering if the Oleophobic front with Bodyguardz or something on the back would be ok with the bumper.

14. F1 Speed macrumors member

Yup, I am using the SGP Carbon Skin Guard on the back. I really like it.

15. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

The Oleophobic also picks up fingerprints very easily so in that respect I'm not sure how much of an improvement it is over the Crystal, but it is very easy to clean.

16. xraytech macrumors 68030

The Wet Method is the best way to install any overlay on the market.

17. pflau macrumors 6502

Just one more tip: use a sponge to soak up excess liquid right afterward. A sponge does not leave behind lints and it sucks water right up. You don't want to have pools of water on the film while it's drying.

18. psywzrd macrumors 68030

So it's just a back skin with some kind of print on it then? The bumper isn't lifting up the front or back skin for you at all? What color bumper?

19. F1 Speed macrumors member

20. UneElle macrumors member

I used surgical gloves (non-powdered!) to install films on my huband's and my iPhones as well as the screen protector on my iPad. Zero fingerprints!

21. psywzrd macrumors 68030

F1 Speed:

How does that rear skin guard feel? Does it give your phone some grip in the back? Is it a fingerprint magnet?

22. F1 Speed macrumors member

Has a real carbon fiber texture to it and it definatly offers more grip to the phone. Will not finger print due to the texture. Super easy to install and removes easly with no adhesive residue. I have had several comments from people that have seen it on my phone asking me where I got it and how much it adds to the looks of the phone. Definatly worth the price I.M.H.O.
    All in all I think it's a great minimalist approch to a case solution that also adds excellent scratch protection. As far as drop protection, I have not seen much available on the market YET that will offer good drop protection.
    My plan is to purchase an Otter Box Commuter series and an Element Vapor case when they are released but for now I am exteemly happy with the Black Apple Bumper / SGP Carbon Skin Guard w/ Ulta Crystal screen protector combo.

23. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

What is this "wet install" everyone is raving about?

Is there a thread with step by step instructions?

Thanks in advance.

24. Kevio macrumors regular

All you do is simply dip the screen protector in a water/soap mixture (VERY light on the soap), shake off the excess, and apply to your phone. What the water/soap mixture does is allow you to move the screen protector around while it's on the phone so that you can get it perfectly lined up. Just make sure to squeegee any excess water away and wait for it to dry.

25. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Great!

Thanks for the quick response. I think Ill grab the SGP and give it a go.