SGP Products: Oleophobic, Ultrafine or Crystal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jrodsep, Jul 31, 2010.

1. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Hi guys. I'm getting tired of the stickyness from my Zagg IS. And was looking at the SGP Products. I have a couple of questions for anyone that have tried their products. Do all of them have the cut-out for the front camera? Are they all scratch resistant? Do any of them have a grainy/orange peel look with the screen off or on? How easy or hard is the installation? Thanks.

2. jrodsep thread starter macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Which brand do you have installed in your i4?

3. illutionz macrumors 65816

4. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

Oleophobic, for sure

It was easy to install and honestly it looks like there is nothing there at all. My girlfriend was playing with my ip4 the day that I put it on and she said (I swear) "aren't you going to put a screen protector on here? You always do that."

Mine did not have a hole for the front camera but it does not affect it at all. I am not sure if SGP has changed that though.

My carbon skin from SGP came with a free Crystal and it SUCKED! It was not completely clear and it was a fingerprint MAGNET. The oleophobic picks up prints too but they are as easy to wipe off as the naked screen (same coating of course :))

Buy oleophobic with confidence grasshopper!

5. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

OP...FYI...The Ultra Matte is going to have a graininess that you seem to not want. All anti-glare/anti-smudge/matte type screen protectors do.

Not to knock your choice illutionz, just stating the facts :)

6. illutionz macrumors 65816

Eh you're right... I did not see that the OP wants crystal clear result ;)
    I'd pick no/little fingerprints anytime because I am lazy to wipe them off :eek:

7. jrodsep thread starter macrumors 6502

jrodsep

what about the installation? I've seen a couple of videos and they install it fairly easy. how is it in real life?

8. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

+1 my friend, + 1

I used to run power support anti-glare on ALL of my iPhones in the past and I just received one in my front and back kit on Friday. Put it on and it lasted about 5 minutes :( I could not handle the loss in clarity of what I consider one of the best things about the ip4.

Sucks too because I am super OCD about smudges and prints (HATE IT GRRRR) but I have come to realize that I'll just have to deal :)

9. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

I put on an Oleophobic today, and so far I like it a lot. I had a Case-Mate, then a Seidio, and both were fingerprint magnets. This one is much better than the others, as it picks up some fingerprints but like others have said are easy to wipe off.

10. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

I had no problems at all.

But I should mention, since I brought up power support in my previous post, that the installation of the crystal front was even easier then the SGP oleophobic. It has a 4 part back that makes it almost foolproof. I haven't had it on long enough to decide if I like it better then the SGP but it is definitely as clear and seems to pick up about the same number of prints.

If installation is a problem for you (some people just can't get it right :)) I'd go with PS 100%

11. techman28 macrumors member

I have the SGP Ultra Crystal and it is 100% clear, cant tell anything is even on the iPhone 4, it feels as if the iphone is naked and although it does get fingerprints on it, they are easy to wipe off, but probably not quite as easy as the oleophobic would be to wipe off, but I'm not sure because I dont have one. Anyways, I am completely satisfied with the SGP Ultra Crystal!

P.S. It was easy to install as long as you are careful about dust, but you can always use a couple pieces of tape to remove dust if some gets under the screen protector.

12. thesumokid macrumors newbie

depends what u want i highly recommend sgp SP's tho. i have the ultra fine anti fingerprint on but they dont sell those anymore they only have the regular anti fingerprint. and on the back i have the ultra crystal ex and they both went perfectly. i wanted to have a anti finger print on the front but went with the ultra clear on the back to show the nice shiny glass part. they both have cutouts too. im really happy with the product and how my phone looks

13. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

Ultra Crystal and Ultra Oleophobic are both great screen protectors. I had tried only the Oleophobic until recently. Then I got the Ultra Fine to beta-test. It was pretty crisp, but had a lot of noise on white backgrounds. So I took it off. Since I was changing the screen protector anyway, I decided to try the Ultra Crystal (I had the EX kit for back/side protection, but hadn't used the front yet).

To me, the Ultra Crystal feels more like the glass. Also, because it's not oleophobic, I find it looks less oily in general than the oleophobic.

Finally, just to be thorough, the Ultra Crystal does seem to be of slightly lower manufacturing quality. A lot of people (including me) have spots around the cutouts that just won't stick. I still prefer it to the oleophobic, though.

14. Unteligent1 macrumors newbie

+1

I got the "full body protection" as well and it has worked beautifully. Easy to install and crystal clear.

15. HighLife420 macrumors 6502a

just bought a ole from ebay for 13.95 and it came with the cut out for the camera, they just extended the ear speaker hole to include the front camera.

pretty easy...just be in a dust free (steamy bathroom after a shower) and be prepared to pick it up and reset it.