Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tag86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi everyone,

Ever since I got my first iphone I have used Powersupport AG screen protectors but with the iPhone 4S the grainyness is starting to bother me. I have since put on a PS Crystal but find myself constantly wiping the screen.

Can anyone tell me whether getting a SGP Ultra Oleophobic would be a waste of money or is it a big improvement over the PS Crystal screen in terms of fingerprints.

What about the Ultra Optics? I understand it's like a hybrid between matte and crystal. Is the screen blurry or clear like the crystal/oleophobic protectors. Also I've read that it makes a strange noise when swiped, is it loud enough to be annoying?

I realy don't want to go back to the Anti-glare type protector now that I have seen the retina display in all its glory.

Thanks

(P.S. Does anyone know if you can get either of the two SGP protectors mentioned above for the iPad 1? If not I guess I'll have to wait until the ipad 3)

charlesdayton

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2011
The Oleo just makes cleaning easier, but still collects the same amount of fingerprints as the crystal.

Currently the only way to be fingerprint resistant is matte. Some people say that the SGP is less grainy than the PS, some say they are the same and some prefer the PS. I have not tested them side by side.

IMO the Ultra Optics is not worth it. It is not as clear as crystal, yet does not resists fingerprints like a matte. Sort of the worst of both worlds. Plus it is more difficult to clean. The sound is not a problem, barely noticeable under normal use.

As for the iPad 1: It is the same screen size as the 2, the only difference it that the protectors for the 2 have a hole for the camera.

--------------

Personally I prefer Anti-Fingerprint screens. Crystal looks good until you use it for a while. Then the oil and fingerprint make ti look worst than the matte shields.

stabbyt

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
Matte screen protectors feel lovely to use -- but you do have to get used to the pixelation effect. I can't go back to using clear screens anymore -- the feel just ruins it for me!

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
Warning about the iPad 2 protectors on the iPad. The screen is a slightly different shape, which requires the protector to be slightly longer. It will NOT fit right on an iPad.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Can anyone tell me whether getting a SGP Ultra Oleophobic would be a waste of money or is it a big improvement over the PS Crystal screen in terms of fingerprints.
I find it an improvement. The oleophobic coating doesn't seem to work as well over time but it's still better at resisting smudges than a plain crystal IMO.

Is the screen blurry or clear like the crystal/oleophobic protectors. Also I've read that it makes a strange noise when swiped, is it loud enough to be annoying?
Its not as clear as crystal or oleo. Whether or not it's annoying is for you to determine. It's a subjective matter. It annoys some. It doesn't annoy others. No one can tell you how you'll perceive it.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
SGP Oleo is fantastic for the 1st week. It resists oil / fingerprints well and gets wiped clean easily.

But after that it just becomes like SGP Crystal which like all crystals screen protectors a fingerprint magnet.

I wouldn't sacrifice clarity in exchange for no fingerprints. I have an Anti fingerprint protector for the back though because obviously I don't need clarity for that.

tag86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
It that case I might just keep the PS Crystal on until it needs replacing. Is there any difference between the PS and SGP crystal protectors?

Up until a month ago I loved the Anti-glare screens but then I used a friends' iphone 4 without a protector and after that I just wasn't happy anymore. But yes I do agree that Anti-glare protectors feel nicer to slide your finger across.

EDIT: Also, on the oleophobic, when the coating wears off does it feel identical to the crystal protectors?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.