Sgp Skin Guard/zagg Screen/bumper Combo

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by falconeight, Jul 9, 2010.

1. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I just Finished installing a SGP skin guard cubed, zagg screen protector and white bumper on my Iphone 4 and the same for my wife except she has the blue bumper and white SGP skin guard in white leather. We really like the combo and it makes the bumper fit perfectly on the phone. It doesn't take away to much form factor and gives the phone about as much protection without have to get a otterbox (which is to big for my taste). If you take you time with the zagg which I am a god at installing its pretty easy to do. I also have the ifrogz luxe lean but it scratched and chipped in about 3 days so now its a back up.

Attached Files:

2. sm0 macrumors regular

nice, thanks for the review and pics.
    everyone considers themselves a god at installing these things haha
    i am far from a god

anyway the bumper looks very bulky, you mention it doesnt take away form the form, but the iphones look fat in the pics. im wanting to do a similar combo but undecided on the bumper. thoughts?

3. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

I would say try it. I think the phone has a odd form factor and the bumper gives it more grip and the skins on the back help as well.

4. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Just curious what made you decide to go with this combo? (It looks great btw.) I've been trying to decide and was thinking the Power Support front and BSE back (with bumper for sides).

My thing is that I'm *not* a god at installing skins, in fact this will be my first install ever. I want it to look excellent too... I wouldn't be satisfied with bubbles. I might just wait until PS offers the front/back combo and go with that, since it's a dry install.

5. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

I like the wet install of zagg it makes it easy to reposition the only thing is keeping out lint. Thats difficult! I don't like dry install at all I think its hard to get straight and they peel easy. I would rather deal with zaggs thick rubbery feel.

6. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Oh and sgp's skins are thinner than the others and I like that.

7. F1 Speed macrumors member

Sweet combination!! Your phones looks fantastic. Nice job. I am pretty good at installing the IS myself, we have been using this stuff on the front of our race cars for years and it works fantastic as an invisible bra (stone guard) on the front of my daily driver as well.

I just received my SGP Carbon Skin Guard today. Just waiting on my Black Bumper to show up. I have Zagg IS on my phone now and have grown to like it (rubbery feel and all) but I am torn as to weather or not to take it off and use the Ultra Crystal with the Bumper when it arrives.

8. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

I was in the same situation, i figured I would save the ultra crystal for if or when the zagg starts wearing. Then I will send it in for a replacement. I like the rubbery feel also. It makes me feel good that my tech is protected.

9. sm0 macrumors regular

Definitely take the Zagg off your screen. The orange peel is criminal on the retina display. Put on the SGP/PS

10. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

I love the orange peel it has nice grip and makes me feel safe.:apple:

11. F1 Speed macrumors member

I'm kinda thinkin about installing the Carbon skin over the top of the IS on the back to protect the Apple logo on the back since it would be exposed to scratches through the cut out without it. Just not sure if it would make it to thick due to the double layers to work with the Bumper when it arrives. I might just cut a small round peice of the IS to cover the Apple logo and then put the Carbon Skin Guard over that.

12. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Try it! The bumper doesn't touch the skin in just fit perfectly flush. Then let me know if it worked.

13. F1 Speed macrumors member

I agree but I have been reading posts about the SGP/SP not sealing well around the mic and home button cut outs.

I think I will. I will post pics when I receive my bumper next week (hopefuly) Although this is just a temporary solution for a case until I receive my Element Vapor case. Ya, I am one of the many that dropped the coin on a Vapor case just based off a photo shopped rendering but the way I figure it is if it is close to what the rendering looks like, I will be really happy. If their CNC machining is accurate and the anodizing is of good quality, there should be no problem.
    I dig the racey mechanical stealthy look of that case in black.

I did some rough testing with a couple peices of anodized aluminum tape wrapped around the edges of the phone with the Zagg IS on the sides and did not see ANY signal drop no matter how I held the phone, so I'm not to worried about that aspect. With a little luck some of the early pre order people will start posting reveiws of theirs and if there are to many reported problems I can cancel my order (2nd. late August shippment) or at the very least send it back.

14. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

When the element comes out and someone posts videos on youtube I will buy one if its of quality and I figure I already have the backing and zagg so all I will have to do is put the element on.

15. F1 Speed macrumors member

My thoughts exactly :cool:

16. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

ugh i was lucky enough to score the last white bumper randomly at an apple store and im still waiting for my black cube backing. im not one to drop my phones so i was thinking the cube backing, bumper, and sgp shield was a perfect combo for me. i have the black bumper too and think it will look nice

is the backing effecting flash photos taken? the website shows a newer version than yours. prob gonna get the same one you have. also does the cube and zagg make the white bumper fit more snug? my white bumper has some play on the sides.

17. Forbidden Fruit macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same thing about the flash, especially regarding the white leather one. Mine arrived today and it has that same cut out as your wifes so I may send it back if its not working as intended. Thanks.

18. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

The backing doesn't effect the flash it is very thin and the picture look exactly the same. And the set up makes the bumper fit more snug.

19. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

the 2 things i wanted to hear, thanks

it better get here tom :mad:

20. mcqueen macrumors member

Thanks for the pics! If possible, would you mind taking photos of the white leather/white bumper together? This is the exact combo I was considering!

21. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Your asking for a lot but I will do it

22. mcqueen macrumors member

Nooo! Seriously, if it's an inconvenience don't even think about it! I'll just edit the color of the bumper in Photoshop on my own :)

23. stphnman20 macrumors regular

Man that white bumper with the cube looks awesome! :apple:

24. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I posted this in another SGP thread, but I thought it was relevant here too. I'm using the SGP Ultra Crystal screen protector on the front.

I got my white leather and black carbon fiber weave SGP Sking Guard backs in today. Overall, I really like them. I didn't realize how thick they were though! Should be very good protection for the back of the device. I've included pictures below of each with my Black Apple Bumper installed. There is no issue at all with interference from the Bumper. Both textures feel really authentic. The carbon fiber really feels like carbon fiber (and may really be, I can't tell), as does the leather.

One thing I can tell is that the white leather, although it looks really good on the phone now, is going to get VERY dirty. The texture just feels like it's going to collect all the dirt that comes into contact with it.

Also, the cut outs are perfect, but they are pretty close. I don't like how tight the camera and flash cut-out is, because if it's off even just slightly (like my carbon one is), it will throw off the alignment of the cut out for the Apple logo.

**Also, the white leather DOES have the issue where the camera flash interferes with picture taking. The black carbon does not. I assume it's because the white color is more reflective of the flash's light.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. falconeight thread starter Guest

falconeight

Here is white on white. I don't like it, but my wife does. Aaa I guess I do like it, it looks very clean.

Attached Files: