SGP/Steinheil Issue

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Sdevante, May 18, 2010.

1. Sdevante macrumors 6502

I received my SQ Clear shield yesterday. I followed the instructions to a Tee, and I have experience in window tint and vinyl which is basically the same concept, yet there is a 2.5 inch strip on the edge that absolutely will not stick. It's like there was no adhesive sprayed there.

Anyone have similar problems? I'm currently waiting SGP's response, but from reading other customer service responses, it doesn't sound promising.

2. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

I have the SGP anti-glare and it fits perfectly fine. If there is a section that doesn't seem to stick, that's usually because the protector is not aligned perfectly to the glass screen.

3. alau0115 macrumors regular

I had a similar problem with their Steinheil crystal film for iPhone 3GS before. The film simply did not stick around the home button. I tried both the 2 films supplied in the package and the problem persisted which leads me to a conclusion that the adhesive is simply not strong enough.

Strangely, if you go for the anti-fingerprint version of SGP, the film sticks okay as evidenced in my another 3GS.

Still, because of the SGP slow customer service as well as a lack of faith in their film product, I went ahead and ordered the Power Support anti-glare version for iPad this time.

4. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I just installed two on my iPad and my wife's. Similar problem with both. Only my non stick area is much smaller - just the top 1/4 inch or maybe less. But it's enough to bug me. And I placed them perfectly at the bottom and around the home button.

I've used several of these on our iPhones and never had a problem. So I'm frustrated.

5. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I had the same issue. I've installed numerous shields/skins. I contacted SGP and was basically told it has to be user error and they don't cover user error.

For something that has to have a huge markup I was greatly disappointed with their response. :mad:

6. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Well that's discouraging. I sent them an email. We'll see what happens. But I don't have my hopes up.

Have any of you landed on a replacement screen protector that works better? The one thing I've always liked about SGP is that it's fairly easy to put on without any bubbles.

7. Sdevante thread starter macrumors 6502

In response to the second poster, I lifted it up and reapplied. The area that isn't sticking now is much smaller. Apparently to some extent, it does have to do with not being perfectly aligned.

But, I ended up getting a lot more dust on the screen in the process of lifting it and realigning. Lol.

At any rate, it's good enough at this point so I'm not lifting it again to make it perfect.

I never did receive a response from SGP though.

8. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I'd fill for a charge back with my credit card company. The merchant processor for SGP will charge them for each charge back (normally $10-$30 per charge back). Not only did you not get what you paid for, they are not answering your emails. No way is this good business. Let them know by taking back your money. If they would have just sent a replacement, it would have been cheaper for them.

9. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I offered to send pics in my email to them. I got a reply within 24 hours asking to go ahead and send those pics, which I did. Will let everyone know how this turns out.

10. jettie1767 macrumors 6502

Yeah, takes a lot of patience to install it properly and lots of magic tape!

11. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

Quick update:

Sent them pics and after not hearing anything for 4 weeks, I re-sent my email with the pics again. I got a reply today:

At least they responded this time. But this is a stupid way to handle the issue. For one, it's a hassle for me and I'm not a happy customer. If they agree that it's an adhesion issue, I'm still out a skin for weeks while they assess the situation. And out the shipping cost until it gets reimbursed. BUT, if they get the product and say "it looks fine - we think it was a user install problem" - then I'm screwed out of a skin and can't even use the one I had.

I was using SGP for all my iphone skins. Until now. I'm going with Power Support now and don't think I will buy anything from SGP again.

I guess now I will order a new skin from Power Support. And when it gets here, I'll put it on, then send the SGP skin to SGP to see what they say. I might get a replacement which can be my back up.

If it were an iPhone and a $10-15 skin, I wouldn't care so much. But these are expensive.

Here are some images to give you an idea. It's not a huge deal, but since my iPad goes naked, you can definitely see the un-stuck areas - it sticks out like a sore thumb.

These two images show that the alignment is darn near perfect at the bottom:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And these two pics show where the top doesn't stick right. And this was after applying pressure to the area for a couple hours. Now, they have lifted up a little more so the "light, unstuck area" is about a good 1/4 inch along the top:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. yntbrgrstar macrumors newbie

I also had problem with Film lifting up at the edge. After contacting SGP

I was told that the edge of the film could lift up if it touches any of the bezel

part. I guess the film only sticks to the glass part. Anyhow, I asked them for

the replacement and I got it.

It seems like they've changed their Policy to 30 days Money Back Guaranteed,

which probably made it lot easier for me to get my replacement. =P

13. wodeh macrumors regular

I might have imagined this up, but aren't all screen protectors these days statically charged, and thus don't employ adhesive in the traditional sense?

Would make 'em a little bit tricky to lift off and reapply otherwise.

Lack of "adhesion" around the edge of screen protectors is something I see quite often, I've just given up letting it bother me. If you're into silicone cases (ugh!) then they do a cracking good job of hiding these areas.

14. Pared macrumors 65816

You let it sit on your iPad and waited 4 weeks to contact them after no response to your original email?

You let that one go by without any action for quite a while, wouldn't you say?

I had an issue with their protector and contacted them AS SOON AS I RECEIVED it. Had I not been replied to, I would have contacted them again. And again.

Luckily they responded to my initial email and sent a replacement free of charge.

While I'm not justifying their actions, waiting on it for so long would raise a flag for me... so at least they're giving you a chance.

And no, it doesn't take a lot of patience to install. It's actually pretty damn easy as long as you're smart about it.