SGP Steinheil Oleophobic Anti Oil Screen Protector Review - iPod Touch 4g

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by TheRock88, Oct 9, 2010.

1. TheRock88 macrumors member

So I just received my SGP Oleophobic screen protector today. Here's my review.

It came in a typical paper envelope type package like other companies use for their screen protectors. It comes with 2 screen protectors, a rubbery plastic like squeegee, a cleaning cloth, and 4 small dust remover stickers.

Applying the protector was alright. Took me about 25 min to do but I had to reapply the protector about 3-4 times because when I was finished applying it, I would usually find 1-3 small specs of dust trapped under the screen protector, causing bubbles.

Pros:
    What I like about it is that it looks like there's no screen protector on it at all. Turning on the screen, there doesnt appear to be any degradation in quality of the retina display. Swiping the screen also feels pretty good, sometimes when I try to move to a different page on the home screen, there's a rubbery feeling that kinda bothers me but I'll wait and see what happens over the next few days.

Cons:
    I dont know if it's the particular screen protector that I used, but mine appears to be not be cut correctly. When I applied it, I did it from the bottom side first (where the Home button is) and aligned it perfectly. So when I started to squeegee and would get to the top, the top hole didnt align with the front facing camera. So I had to take off the screen protector and reapplied it, but this time I had to compromise and cover a bit of the Home button but at least the camera fit into the hole.

Overall I'm pretty satisfied. Swiping the screen repeatedly and there doesnt appear to be any fingerprints so far so I'm really liking that. I was waiting for Power Support to release their 4G Touch screen protectors but needed something to protect my Touch in the meantime so I went with this and I think it does the job pretty well. Overall I'd give it a 9/10.

Here's the product detail from their website.

http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/22_27/products_id/1621

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

3. sineplex macrumors 6502

Been looking at this product so thanks a lot for the review, the product has been out of stock for quite some time.

It's a good idea to apply the protector in the bathroom after a shower, let it steam up the room so you'll have a dust free area to work in. Also good that you've had a shower also. minimal clothing, minimal dust. A little excessive but it works wonders. ~ 'Just say'n !!

4. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Thanks for the review. I ordered mine off amazon a couple days ago so I feel a little better knowing they are as good as the ones for the iPhone 4.

Like you, I was also waiting for PowerSupport to release the crystal for the iPod Touch 4G, but I needed something to protect it in the meantime.

5. gcube macrumors newbie

I put my SGP Screen Protector on my iPod 4G but there are bubbles I cannot get out so I want to take it off and reapply it. Can anyone tell me how to take it off? :) Thanks

6. TheRock88 thread starter macrumors member

I had two ways to do it. First thing I tried was put a piece of scotch tape on one of the ends and lifted it up that way. But once I fully applied it, the tape method didnt work anymore so I had to dig it out with my nails.

7. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

By the rubbery feeling, does it feel like after you take off the original protector on iPod (with the fake menu and stuff)?

8. TheRock88 thread starter macrumors member

No, rubbery feel like you swipe using an invisibleshield. Doesnt matter though, the rubbery feel went away a day after I installed the SGP. Loving it right now.

9. lgreenberg macrumors 6502

lgreenberg

Got mine the other day and had/have the same issue.

Piece of hair under mine and the usual tape to pull up method won't work. It seems the adhesive is strong. I don't want to use my nail for fear of damaging and since the hair is small and in a good spot (in the black area) I'll just leave it.

10. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Had to do a wet install for the one we have, it looks great after it dries.

On a side note, Larry, I tried pulling the first one up with my finger nail, got it up, and when I went to put it back down that corner will not settle on the screen 100% so picking it up with my nail definitely damaged it. Seems a wet install is the only way to get it perfect.

11. TheRock88 thread starter macrumors member

K, posting an update.

So I've got the screen protector on for a little more than a week now and its still as good as the day I applied it. The thing isnt a big fingerprint magnet as I thought but there's still occasional ones. What I love though is just like it's mentioned in the product detail page on their site, wiping the screen with a cloth will get rid of any fingerprints. Had my Touch about 90% of the time in my pocket when I'm walking to class or jogging and there's no damage or scratch marks so far. The only other thing in the same pocket as the Touch are my headphones so I'm glad nothing's scratched so far. So far I'm really impressed with it and would recommend it if you're still looking for a screen protector.