SGP Ultra Crystal Screen Protector Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Hanwei, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hanwei macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I've had my ViPhone for almost 2 months now... and it started life being carried in a Sena Ultra Slim Pouch, then it wore a Magpul Executive Field case, and now it sports an Incase Snap case. But the front screen has always been naked... as I was of the persuasion that the glass is pretty tough and scratch resistant. Not to mention the naked glass is just so damn good lookin and smooth to the touch. I also take very good care of the phone and it has it's own pocket (no keys or coins, etc to scratch it up).

Fast forward to a few days ago... when I was staring (admiring) my phone and the light reflected just so off of my screen and I saw what looked like tiny hairline scratches here and there... Upon further inspection... there ARE tiny hairline scratches on the glass.

You can only see them when the light hits the screen just right... and they are otherwise invisible under normal daily usage. But me, being anal about this kind of thing...(probably like the majority of us on here), I decided that it was time to put some protection on there.

I set out to find a screen protector that:

1) would degrade the Retina display as little as possible...
    2) would not take away from the overall look of the sexy glass... ie: be as invisible as possible...
    3) is made well... ie: cutouts are accurate and material used is high quality...

I knew from doing some reading that I didn't care for the anti-fingerprint screen protectors as the coatings either wore off, or the protectors had a matte finish to them which would inevitably degrade the Retina display as well as take away from the overall sleek black glass.

My choice was then between the SGP Ultra Crystal or the Power Support Crystal... Both have great reviews... and I ended up going with the SGP Ultra Crystal if only because I've had good experiences with SGP in the past (and no experience with PS).

I just received the screen protector today... and basically installed it in one try exactly like in SGP's video here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/unitedsgp#p/u/6/0jlnUae50WU

It was extremely easy to install... I just lined the top edge and corners of the screen protector with the top edge and corners of the glass... then "rolled" the rest of it on... and used the squeegee to get rid of the few bubbles (which disappeared instantly).

Impressions:

I have to say... I don't really see much degradation of the Retina display at all... if there is any, it may have degraded the display by ~5%... whatever the amount is it's very inconsequential. The lines are just as sharp, the colors are just as vibrant.... kick ass.

Light transmission seems to be unaffected as well. Again, if there is any decrease in light transmission I'd guess it's no more than 5%. I really can't notice a difference.

The home button, ear speaker, and front facing camera cutouts are very accurately cut. As are the overall dimensions of the screen protector.

Now, when the iPhone with the protector on is just sitting there on the desk... Does it look as good as it did when the glass was naked? ALMOST. If the sexiness level of the naked glass was a 10... I'd rate the iPhone with the SGP Ultra Crystal protector on it at a 9 of not a 9.5.

I actually brought the phone over to my roommate who was in the living room and asked him if I should install the screen protector (after I had already installed it). He took the phone from me... looked at the screen... and said, "yeah, you should probably install it just to be safe. The glass looks awesome naked but you'll be sorry if you scratch it." To which I replied, "Dude... the screen protector's already on there." :D

It's definitely not as clear as the naked glass... but it's damn close. And for every day usage... you simply won't notice it at all. I'm actually very happy with the SGP Ultra Crystal protector.

It doesn't degrade the Retina display much at all... it's made well... and as far as I'm concerned... the Ultra Crystal is as inconspicuous/invisible as a screen protector can be.

Recommended!

Hanwei

2. YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

Thanks for the review...

I've been on the fence but I might just order this and give it a try.

3. Meltdownblitz macrumors 65816

IMO I'd order the oleophobic version, pretty much the same thing, just finger print resistant.