SGP Ultra Crystal vs GLAS.t - which screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jamesesesesess, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

I'm receiving my iPhone 5 next week and am looking for cases and screen protectors. I've made the decision that I'll get a nice front screen protector and just some cheapo for the back, then a cheap transparent case from eBay. Maybe I'd upgrade to a nicer one later on, but for now it'll be fine with front and back screen protectors adding double protection. My aunt got an Invisible Shield for her iPhone 5 today and I just don't like it. The texture isn't for me at all, and it feels too soft. It's also very expensive just for a plastic screen protector.

So I've narrowed it down to 2 screen protectors. I've heard great things about the Spigen SGP screen protectors. The Ultra Crystal one looks and sounds nice, I don't care about glare or fingerprints which appear to be the only faults of it on the graph on their website. However, the GLAS.t sounds great too because it's actually glass. Does it feel just like the bare screen? Does the screen show through fine? It is $28 which makes me a little worried about messing up the application, but the hinge method looks effective.

2. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

I've used both; definitely go with the Glas.T if price isn't an issue for you.
    It feels like it's not there once you apply it. If you do get it, don't use any water/liquid to clean off fingerprints (or it'll ruin the oleophobic coating), a simple cloth wipe will do.

3. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

Price isn't an issue for me when protecting something as perfect as an iPhone :p I mean I could just go naked and get AppleCare+ but I couldn't get a replacement every time I get a scratch.

What if I used an alcohol pad to wipe it, let it dry for maybe 20 minutes or however long it takes, then used the included dry cloth? Would that cause any issues? I want the screen to be totally clean before applying.

Also, does anyone have any tips on keeping it dust free? Is there an area of the house where there's less dust? I know that the screen wouldn't have any dust on it but what if a particle just came floating along and got stuck :D

4. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Oh, I should've made it more clear. Yes, you can use the included alcohol cloth to wipe it; what I meant to say was, don't use water to clean the Glas.T since it also has its own oleophobic coating.

Try it in your bathroom

5. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh! That makes sense. I was wondering why the adhesive part would relate to the coating. So it doesn't matter if the screen is a little damp when applying then, or should I let it dry anyway?

6. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

before you apply it in your bathroom, steam the bathroom up first as the water condensation will attach to the dust and the dust will fall down instead of float. After a few minutes of your bathroom steaming up, then go in and apply it.

This will reduce the amount of dust that might get under when applying.

7. Jamesesesesess thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great tip! Thanks!

8. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Water will ruin the coating? How could that be? A cleaning solvent I could see, but just water? Do you have any source to support this?

9. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816