SGP Ultra Oleophobic vs. Power Support Crystal?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by psywzrd, Aug 2, 2010.

1. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I'm currently using an SGP Ultra Oleophobic on my iphone but I'm getting the phone replaced and need to order a new screen protector ASAP (already screwed up the other screen protector that came with the SGP package). Anyway, I'm trying to decide between the Ultra Oleophobic and the PS Crystal (PS Anti-Glare is out because it doesn't sound like it's clear enough for me this time around).

Have any of you guys had both? If so, how do they compare as far as fingerprint resistance and ease of removing fingerprints? I understand both will show fingerprints but is one easier to clean than the other? I understand that the PS Anti-Glare is best for avoiding fingerprints (I've always used those in the past), but I don't want to sacrifice clarity again.

Any input?

2. lakersin2025 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. Can't decide which to get. I don't need anti glare either. Just best fitting clearest looking.

3. troop231 macrumors 603

Stay with the SGP Ultra Oleophobic. It's basically as clear as glass, and as smooth as the iPhone's screen to boot. Not to mention it has the anti-oil coating making it easier to wipe off smudges compared to the Power Support.

4. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

Have you actually used the new PS Crystal?

5. Wasbo macrumors member

I ordered the SGP ultra oleophobic yesterday because the quality looked great and the price was reasonable..with power support I would have had to pay $20 for shipping which I did not want to do.

6. troop231 macrumors 603

Yes I have, friend has one and we both compared. She liked the SGP on mine better to say the least.

7. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

PS crystal looks great... When not COVERED with impossible to wipe-off finger oil. I regret not going with SGP so don't make the same mistake as me.

8. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

I haven't tried SGP but can vouch for the PS Crystal being an oil MAGNET. Much, much worse than the iPhone's glass. I took it off after a day as it was GROSS. The bare glass is night and day better. I just wish I could protect it at the same time and not have it look disgusting. From what I've read, SGP Oleophobic is also worse than the bare glass for oil, but maybe not as bad as PS Crystal?

9. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Dude I want to go bare glass so bad but I'm just trying to make the best of the PS since I payed 31 bucks for the kit with shipping.

I just got my geometric in the mail today and it's GORGEOUS. Maybe I'll just order an SGP so I can just personally tell the difference. Ugh...

10. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I think you guys have convinced me to stay with the Ultra Oleo. Other than the fact the the PS is easier to install (and the fact that SGP's customer service blows), it doesn't sound like the PS Crystal has any advantage over the Ultra Oleophobic. I guess it could be a little more scratch-resistant but that's not a huge concern for me anyway (better than the screen scratching anyway).

11. tourneur macrumors member

Was doubting abouut these two too. SGP seems a better one then. Thanks.

12. Jashmid macrumors regular

PS (and pretty much everything else but the awful Zagg) is hard to find here in the UK. Everyone is out of stock. I was lucky enough to get myself an Oleophobic and will not be taking it off any time soon. It's so clear, it's almost impossible to notice it's there. And VERY easy to wipe off. Cannot recommend it enough.

13. F1 Speed macrumors member

Can't comment on the PS but I've been using the SGP Oleophobic for almost 3 weeks w/ Apple Bumper and I'm pretty happy with it. As others have posted, finger prints clean off pretty easy. It's just like the factory glass with no SP at all I.M.H.O. No problems here with the edges comming up or sealing around the cut outs as others have reported. Did a wet install with slightly soapy water solution. Went on perfect the first time in about 60 seconds.

14. Fabricman112 macrumors regular

Fabricman112

hey all Im gonna buy the SGP Ultra Oleophobic.. is the Sgpstore.com the only place to get it?? No shop closer to Sweden?? :cool:

15. drkash macrumors regular

Ebay! Will be cheaper than SGP direct as you should save on shipping charges!

16. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

I have the SGP Oleophobic and it is a finger print magnet. Impossible to keep clean. Keeping it on until i get something else, maybe a PS

17. lsquare macrumors 6502

What do you mean by impossible to clean? Is it not possible to remove the fingerprint even with a damp towel?

18. psywzrd thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't find the Oleophobic impossible to clean. All I do is breath on it to make the screen fog up a bit and then I wipe it on my shirt or something similar. The fingerprints and smudges wipe off without a problem.

19. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Works for me too.

20. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

I haven't tried the 'breath' method, usually just try my shirt. I usually don't have a damp towel around.

even the breath method leaves the screen with streaks

21. Steveo47 macrumors regular

shipping from SPG website to canada is terrible. USPS it somewhat difficult to traack your package and they say to allow 20 days for shipping >.<

22. sammjordan macrumors member

Hmmm, a couple quick wipes against a shirt or a cleaning cloth and mine is usually clean as new..

23. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I wouldn't worry about that.

I shop from it to Ireland and their stuff gets here in a matter of days.

24. nd4speed macrumors member

So far I'm loving my SGP Oleo. Coming from a PS anti-glare I wish it was a bit thicker (still no scratches so far), but the greatly improved clarity (to me the surface is indistinguishable from the glass) more than makes up for it. I can wipe away most smudges with just my fingers; for the tougher stuff just use a bit of moisture and a tissue.

25. nelly41 macrumors regular

Check out my old post if you want pics and a mini review on the ps anti glare. If you want to stick with sgp you have, you can do what I did. I washed the screen protector with soap and water and it got rid of all the dust and finger prints and I then used the "wet apply" method and reinstalled it on my phone after getting it replaced. Worked like a charm. Just squeeze out the air bubbles and you should be fine.