Sgp vs power support

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by DashSatan, Dec 29, 2011.

1. DashSatan macrumors 6502

Okay before I start I'm asking for your opinion, so don't go all it's up to me haha. Ive been a loyal power support customer since I got my iPhone but I was thinking of trying a new one. Mainly right now for back screen. What do you guys prefer?

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Some here are die hard PS fans and some are SGP.

Personally I've had them both and they're as excellent as each other. Both made from premium quality films from Japan.

Basically here's how I see it, if it doesn't have rainbow effect then that means it looks as naked and crystal clear as possible and that's what make them the best.

3. zooby macrumors 6502a

I've only had Powersupport and think they are great! I had the crystal on my black iPhone 4 and I bought the antiglare HD for my iPhone 4S. Both are great - depending on what you want. Not sure if I am going to keep my antiglare though...kinda miss the retina display, although I do prefer the matte finnish and no glare! Can't go wrong with Powersupport though.

4. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Try monoprice. I've used PS and SGP. I think monoprice is just as good and a fraction of the cost.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Which iPhone do you have?! Mine doesn't have a back screen :(

PS Crystal for thin glass like, clear, glossiness.
    PS anti glare for thin, matte, anti fingerprint and anti glare, a little bit of sparkling effect, and maybe a hair of brightness tapered.
    ZAGG for thick glossy, orange peel effect

No exp with SGP

6. Munkypoo7, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

I've used both, and really it's hard to tell any difference between the two.

The visibility is exactly equal to one another on my 4S... the only difference is that the SGP Ultra Fine seems to be ever so slightly thicker than the PowerSupport Anti-Glare. Nothing hugely noticeable until you install it. The SGP films since they're thicker seem to have a bit more rigidity to them, so it's easier to apply [imo] while the PS seems to wobble a bit and makes it somewhat more annoying to line up perfectly.

Whichever one is easier to get a hold of will serve you flawlessly. :)

For whatever it's worth, I'm using a PS Snti-glare right now on my 4S and my gf has an SGP Ultra Fine on her 4S. I got the pleasure of installing both :p

edit: fixed a typo that drove me mad D:

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

They're both good options. I wouldn't expect earth shattering differences (especially for the back) despite what the fanboys on both sides claim.

My opinion's above and that it's up to you. You can read the opinions of others all you want but whether or not you agree with them is an entirely separate matter. If you're curious then try the alternative. It's first hand experience that matters in the end.

8. ahfu25 macrumors 6502a

I like both SGP and PS. I have a PS anti-glare for the front and SGP crystal for the back. I also have wraps on the antenna from Zagg combined with the SGP neo hybrid 2 bumper. I guess best of 3 worlds.:D

9. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

@Munkypoo7:

Do you find a difference in the flickering/noise between SGP Ultra Fine and PS Anti Glare? I currently use crystal but want to switch to AG.

@OP:

My experience is only with crystal clear films. In that regard both SGP and PS seem to be exactly the same. The only difference is their cutouts for the home button and rear camera.

10. Munkypoo7 macrumors 6502

Munkypoo7

Both are exactly the same imo, though as to be expected, there is a difference between the crystal and anti-glare. I obviously don't mind but meh.

Really I prefer the SGP Ultra Fine in the only respect that it feels easier to install. Both seem visually identical as far as screen "distortion".

Oh, and I should mention that the PS Anti-Glare has a cut out for the proximity sensor, no flipping idea why, it works flawlessly with the sensor covered. Laziness is trumping me changing to an SGP protector, especially with te shipping delays expected with the holiday season :/

11. DashSatan thread starter macrumors 6502

The only beef I have with ps now is their new crystal fronts have a cut out for the sensor. That bothers me haha. I really just need a back sp for a tighter fit on my casecrown glider.

12. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

PS has a back screen protector. The cut out in front is necessary/justifiable. A screen protector isn't suppose to mask any of the abilities of the phone. Covering the IR sensor above the earpiece would diminish its sensitivity.

13. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

That's funny. I have a crystal screen protector on my 4S and it doesn't "diminish" the sensitivity at all...

14. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yeah, exactly. Maybe you should read my post again before you attempt to take a jab.

15. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Maybe justifiable with the AG protectors, but not the crystal clear.

16. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I really have no idea what you are talking about or you're just not understanding me, so I'll clarify it and use visual aides.

Post above commented and inquired about the cutout above the earpiece of the screen protector. I answered. That cutout is an IR sensor that the phone needs to detect your ear, and other things so it can do what it needs to do. The cutout is there to not block that. I'm not talking about the entire phone. I agree, there is no noticeable loss of sensitivity with the screen covered. However, covering an already small IR with plastic will. Hence, the cutout. And, this is only applicable to the iPhone 4S. not the 4. The sensor is new to the 4S.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

@Munkypoo7

Thanks a lot for your input! I also don't like the fact that PS does not make back anti-glare/fingerprint. The back of the phone collects as much fingerprints as the front.

----------

No it is not necessary. The proximity sensor works perfectly even if the protector is AG. It does not "mask abilities of the phone" as you say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwnUsSoBfb4

18. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

My SGP crystal doesn't have a cutout for that sensor and it works flawlessly.

19. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Of course you won't notice any difference! Unless you use the Siri function of having it turn on when you bring it to your ear, then you will not notice a difference.

And read my post again, the cutout only is 4S specific. Your youtube link is an iPhone 4, my post above clearly states 4S. Some manufacturers have a backlog of 4 protectors that they are getting rid of and are sporadically shipping the 4S specific cut-out.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/10/iphone-4s-siri-infrared-sensor/

If that Siri option doesn't work for you or it sporadically works, then that's culprit.

20. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I would know a difference. During a call, I know when the screen turns off when against my face...and it does it every time. I also have siri turned on when raised against my ear and it works flawlessly every time (no cutout on my screen shield). I have a white iPhone 4S.

21. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Of course it does.

22. charlesdayton, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

You are the first person I have ever read on the internet that has complained about the sensor being covered by a SP. And btw the only company with cutouts for the sensor is PS, every other company covers the sensor and no one complains even with Siri.

For IR to fail it would need a light transmittance attenuation high enough to also make the screen unusable. Also the light sensor is in the same place and does not has problems adjusting brightness either.

You just seem to like arguing even when presented with evidence.

edit: typo

23. thatoneguy82, Dec 31, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2011

thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Oh, god. Argue? Really. LOL. I'm merely stating knowledge readily available all over the internet. Everything I have said can be googled and I have googled before posting.

And there are more cutouts than PS btw, look before you post
    http://www.slickwraps.com/Brushed-Stainless-Steel-Skin-iPhone-4S-p/ip4smetal-brushstl.htm (can't copy pic)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...many more

And also, why is it so hard to believe this modification is iPhone 4S specific but backwards compatible to the 4? I just don't get it.

24. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

People here say they don't have problems with Siri, you say they do, that's arguing Dr. Christian.

And you are right there are more SP with cutouts. I only knew about the most popular ones. I don't have enough spare time to be looking at every brand of screen protector out there. Specially when only two brands are being discussed here.