Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Trust me. I've been a PS fan since the beginning. I've ordered the SGP STEINHEIL ULTRA OLEOPHOBIC (2 sets) and honestly, this is by far the best product I've seen to date. I've just purchased the third set, which makes it a total of 6 protectors. I figure, I've installed one on my phone now. One on my wife's phone and 4 as backup's.

People cannot notice that the screen protector is on the case.
PS: I've ordered 4 others as i have a lint inside the protector. Super small but its there. I know myself ! One day I'll rip it out and move on to the next. Can't wait for them to arrive.

hope this helps with your decision. good luck

Can you please post pics of this? Also, when it says oleophobic does it actually resist fingerprints or is it just easier to clean fingerprints off (like the iphone's glass)? I've been a huge fan of the PS Anti-Glares in the past because I love the way they feel and because they resist fingerprints; however, there is a noticeable degradation in screen clarity with them. I'm looking for something that is as clear as possible but also resists fingerprints (if that even exists).

pk0

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
So if fingerprints aren't really a big deal to me, is the SGP Steinheil Ultra Crystal clear enough to not effect the display at all? I currently have the Wrapsol, which I like but when I was replacing the film I noticed how much clearer the display was without the Wrapsol on and actually got excited about the screen being so clear again lol.

pikkashoe

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
I have the steinheil ultra crystal.
Its perfectly clear and does not affect the retina display.
You cant even tell its there.

pk0

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2009
I have the steinheil ultra crystal.
Its perfectly clear and does not affect the retina display.
You cant even tell its there.

That's what I wanted to hear. I just want it for the front. I dig the Wrapsol on the rest of the phone.

a0911091837

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2009
Trust me. I've been a PS fan since the beginning. I've ordered the SGP STEINHEIL ULTRA OLEOPHOBIC (2 sets) and honestly, this is by far the best product I've seen to date. I've just purchased the third set, which makes it a total of 6 protectors. I figure, I've installed one on my phone now. One on my wife's phone and 4 as backup's.

PS: I've ordered 4 others as i have a lint inside the protector. Super small but its there. I know myself ! One day I'll rip it out and move on to the next. Can't wait for them to arrive.

I just decided to go ahead to order this to see how good it is. I don't fancy buying from their web store for long time shipping to UK.

Finally order through eBay UK. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SGP-STEINHEIL-ULTRA-OLEOPHOBIC-Anti-oil-film-iPhone-4-/180528769162?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item2a085a688a

Should be arrive tomorrow! Will try and let you guys know!

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Thanks! It sounds like people like PS more? Is it fair to say its better?

Yeah, I think it's hard to judge atm which is better since PS isn't out yet. I was thinking the clarity was slightly (but barely) better with PS, but I don't have one to compare.. so yeah maybe not. It feels just like glass with both brands.

The reason I plan to swap out for PS next month is solely because PS is promising to have the cutout for the front camera, SGP has stated they won't do this for the crystal film... and despite claiming that it has no impact on the picture quality in my own tests, I disagree.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Yeah, I think it's hard to judge atm which is better since PS isn't out yet. I was thinking the clarity was slightly (but barely) better with PS, but I don't have one to compare.. so yeah maybe not. It feels just like glass with both brands.

The reason I plan to swap out for PS next month is solely because PS is promising to have the cutout for the front camera, SGP has stated they won't do this for the crystal film... and despite claiming that it has no impact on the picture quality in my own tests, I disagree.

Thanks for the reply. The camera is reason enough to wait for PS. I wish it was coming out sooner. I have Zagg on my iphone (which is terrible) and I am going to swap my phone for a new one at apple for a different issue and have 30 days from the launch day (whenever that is to do it). I was hoping to go there with the PS SP and have them install it bc I am terrible at that.

How much protection from drops does the PS Crystal give? I was thinking about getting the Switcheasy Nude case (which doesn't look like much front screen support)?

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Thanks for the reply. The camera is reason enough to wait for PS. I wish it was coming out sooner. I have Zagg on my iphone (which is terrible) and I am going to swap my phone for a new one at apple for a different issue and have 30 days from the launch day (whenever that is to do it). I was hoping to go there with the PS SP and have them install it bc I am terrible at that.

How much protection from drops does the PS Crystal give? I was thinking about getting the Switcheasy Nude case (which doesn't look like much front screen support)?

Well I did drop my 3GS (glass down) and didn't have any damage, but only a couple feet. Definitely would recommend a case of some sort to protect against drops.

I'm still deciding if I want to wait for PS to announce when the front/back set is coming out, or if I just want to buy the front now and have it in a couple weeks.

My current set up is SGP crystal on the front, wrapsol ultra back and a bumper.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Well I did drop my 3GS (glass down) and didn't have any damage, but only a couple feet. Definitely would recommend a case of some sort to protect against drops.

I'm still deciding if I want to wait for PS to announce when the front/back set is coming out, or if I just want to buy the front now and have it in a couple weeks.

My current set up is SGP crystal on the front, wrapsol ultra back and a bumper.
How protected do u feel your phone is in the current setup?

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
How protected do u feel your phone is in the current setup?

Protected enough I'm pretty comfortable with it.

I've never had a case on any iPhone prior to this one (I've tried and got irritated with them and I ended up removing them a couple days later)..and did not have any damage issues, which isn't to say I won't... but with the glass back I felt something other than a skin was needed.

The bumper (in my case) feels pretty solid, it won't protect against all drops, depending on how the phone lands, but will definitely help.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Protected enough I'm pretty comfortable with it.

I've never had a case on any iPhone prior to this one (I've tried and got irritated with them and I ended up removing them a couple days later)..and did not have any damage issues, which isn't to say I won't... but with the glass back I felt something other than a skin was needed.

The bumper (in my case) feels pretty solid, it won't protect against all drops, depending on how the phone lands, but will definitely help.

Cool, this phone def feels fragile. I just pre ordered the Power Support Crystal SP. What I am nervous about is that I am swapping my phone at Apple with in the 30 day period (I think its by July 23rd) so I will have to wait some time with no SP to get the power support. Do you think that it risky?

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Cool, this phone def feels fragile. I just pre ordered the Power Support Crystal SP. What I am nervous about is that I am swapping my phone at Apple with in the 30 day period (I think its by July 23rd) so I will have to wait some time with no SP to get the power support. Do you think that it risky?

They're shipping the 26th aren't they? I wouldn't worry about too much. When I ordered the SGP it was delayed even though it said in stock and I had about a week with no SP. Didn't have a single scratch, just be careful with it.

Or you could just order a front shield from BSE until PS arrives. There's a coupon floating around for 20% off somewhere. I think I paid around $6.50 for a back shield shipped.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
They're shipping the 26th aren't they? I wouldn't worry about too much. When I ordered the SGP it was delayed even though it said in stock and I had about a week with no SP. Didn't have a single scratch, just be careful with it.

Or you could just order a front shield from BSE until PS arrives. There's a coupon floating around for 20% off somewhere. I think I paid around $6.50 for a back shield shipped.

Thanks... Does the screen get messed up when you remove the SP? Also How important do you think a back SP is if I have a case that would cover the back?

vbui26

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
ahhhh. i wanna get the bamboo case from grove so badly, but they said there is .005" space for protectors. and i dont wanna get the wrong size :(:confused:

Not sure if it's the thickness you should worry about if there is a lip on the case. If there is a lip, you should worry about the size of the screen shield. Power support screens are usually cut a tad smaller for easy install and for cases with a lip. (ex: incase slider)

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Thanks... Does the screen get messed up when you remove the SP? Also How important do you think a back SP is if I have a case that would cover the back?

No not at all, I haven't noticed any residue with any of the skin brands I've used.

Also, I have re-applied PS to another phone. It was only used for 2 weeks before I had an issue with the phone and had to get a replacement. I've washed it with alcohol and let it dry and it re-applied perfectly just fyi. Probably wouldn't have done it if I had used the shield for a few months, but since it was only 2 weeks old..

If you're going to have a case, I'd say it probably depends on what type. If it's a silicone case I'd say skip the back shield, but if it's a hard case I would still put it on. We may not see the scratching issues from hard cases like we did with the plastic on thr 3G/3GS but I'd say there's still a good chance your phone could get scratched from a hard case.

eyespii

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008

do you have pics of your iPhone 4 with the SGP oleophobic screen protector on? or even better, comparison shots between the oleophobic, ultra clear, and and a naked screen? I'm really torn between either the oleophobic and the ultra clear. Is there a difference in clarity between the two? how well does the oleophobic resist fingerprints? As good as the iPhone 4 screen itself?

Thanks!

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
do you have pics of your iPhone 4 with the SGP oleophobic screen protector on? or even better, comparison shots between the oleophobic, ultra clear, and and a naked screen? I'm really torn between either the oleophobic and the ultra clear. Is there a difference in clarity between the two? how well does the oleophobic resist fingerprints? As good as the iPhone 4 screen itself?

Thanks!

I pretty much asked the same thing in another thread, so I'd love to hear too. Of course, if they offered a full-body Oleophobic kit I wouldn't have to ask.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.