SGP's Argos Leather Case

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by skittles90623, Aug 10, 2011.

1. skittles90623 macrumors regular

After debating between the Dodocase, Keyboard Folio from Belkin, and the SGP Argos, I went ahead and got the Argos.

As far as the Dodocase goes, the look is very classy, and somewhat versatile. I like the dodocase a lot for sentimental reasons as well because it has sort of a retro look, kind of back in the days when people (including myself) would get lost in books instead of gadgets... anyways, i digress. The price is a lot better as well. The only thing that prevented me from getting one is because as much as i liked the look, I didn't want that bulky, sharp-edged feeling. And I sort of wanted to go with leather anyhow.

The Keyboard Folio from Belkin was also on my mind, but I already have a MBA, and I wanted to keep my iPad just for browsing and reading books at the coffee shops(i'm a tablet purist). And if I change my mind, I don't need a keyboard that HAS to fit in my folio. I can just buy one with a bluetooth later.

I got the Argos because of the classic, simple style of it all. The leather feels really good, and I can tell the leather is top quality stuff. In the inside of the covers, there's a suede-like material with little SGP logos all over it. And the front cover has magnets to trigger the sleep/awake function.

What really won me over were the flaps for the stands that's inside of the cover. It doesn't give the outside a complicated display. And it gives good support for when I either have to type something really quick or when I want to view something. One thing I wished SGP did (besides pricing it a little lower :) ) was if this case could stand vertically as well as horizontally.

One big thing with these folio cases is that it's not that easy to hold in your hand while you're reading something. The Argos is not light. It's pretty heavy, which is good in some respects because it's more protective, but it sorta sucks when you have to pick it up with one hand while reading. I suppose for people who want a case that'll help them hold their iPads with one hand while reading, this Speck case might be for them if they don't mind cases that are absolute eyesores.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the Argos. The only leather case I've seen that, imo, looks better than the Argos is the Vaja Cases, which somebody posted about earlier http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1132803&highlight=... Beautiful, beautiful cases, but I can't fork over $220 plus wait 20 days for them to ship it over.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with what I got. It's definitely an upgrade to my skinguard+smart cover, and pretty much the right case for me.

Attached Files:

2. ABCDEFGHIJKLMAO macrumors member

I had the Argos for my iPad 1. I really liked the design. so clean and protective with nice genuine leather! The one thing that bothered me was the weight of Argos. It was kind of too heavy to carry around :mad:

3. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Agreed. I had one for my iPad 1 and it was a beautiful case.

The one's for the iPad 2 look nice. I'd actually like it much better if it didn't have the inside stand flaps.

4. skittles90623 thread starter macrumors regular

haha, to each his own i guess. i love the inside flaps :)

5. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Very true. I'm just picky. There's always something with a case that I don't like...haha

6. KingFrog macrumors newbie

do the magnets on the front flap accidentally affect the sleep/awake thing? i'm thinking about buying this one.

7. skittles90623 thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, i've never had that problem. i suppose if you position it just right, it could, but i think you'd have to try really hard to do so :)

8. Vanessa17 macrumors member

Thank you so much for the great review. It has been a few weeks since you posted this, how is it holding up now? I am weighing up the cost ($100 here in Sydney approximately) as I have already bought a Chinao Vaja style case for $55.00 which I am disappointed by.

One additional question, how is the cover if you were sitting in bed or on a lounge? Typing, swiping etc? I read reviews where people were unhappy that there was no angle for typing?

9. Vanessa17 macrumors member

Sorry for the double post, just wondering how good is the stand? It is solid or wobbly?

10. skittles90623 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually looked for some reviews on youtube and the only thing i found was this unboxing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz83xgVBHzo

The case has held up great. As far as your question about typing goes, there is actually a small stand inside the flap that allows you to type. for the people who complained, perhaps the typing angle wasn't as flat as they woulda liked? not sure..
    But I never thought the stands to be wobbly. they're very sturdy imo. of course, i would've liked if there was another viewing angle..
    And using the case while sitting in bed or a lounge is not the most ideal because it is a little heavier. So if I'm playing Angry Birds or something while sitting down, I just pop the case off. But if I'm watching a movie, I'll leave the case on and prop it using the vertical stand.

and sorry about the Chinao (actually never heard of it until now). saw the thread on it and looks really nice espcially for the price.

11. Vanessa17 macrumors member

Thanks for your reply Skittles. I posted my review of the Chinao in this thread -
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1162248&page=9

I'm not sure about the Argos now, considering I mostly use it on my lap for surfing the net, on a table if I am out or reading etc when I am in bed. I prefer to keep my iPad in a case all the time.

The biggest turn-off for me at the moment is the price! Maybe it will go down when the iPad 3 is released :D

12. Vanessa17 macrumors member

Anyone have the Argos in Vintage Brown? How is it holding up? Does it stain easily? Is it smooth or pebbled?

13. dqfayi macrumors regular

The case has held up great. for the people who complained, perhaps the typing angle wasn't as flat as they woulda liked? not sure..
    :confused:

14. Vanessa17 macrumors member

One last question, do the stands on the inside of the front cover leave marks or imprint marks on the iPad screen??

Thanks dqfayi for your reply :)