Shackleton's Whiskey Found (yum!)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Lord Blackadder, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Recently some Kiwis excavated the floor under a hut Ernest Shackleton built for his failed 1908 Antarctic expedition and found three crates of whiskey and two of brandy.

I'm sure they'll be purchased by some well-heeled whiskey makers and blended into some mega high-dollar concoctions.

The descendents of the original manufacturer hope to analyse the whiskey (the original recipe has been lost) and try to replicate it.

...But I wish I could have a tumbler just to see how it tastes.

2. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Wow. That's crazy.

That would be awesome if they could replicate the recipe. It will take them a long time to replicate the arctic-bottle-aging process though. ;)

3. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Amazing!
    Once I left a couple of growlers of ale in a snowdrift overnight to save room in the fridge and something about the extremely low temperature skunked the beer pretty awful. If only it had been whiskey, and for a hundred years..

4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It is said of course that whiskey doesn't age in the bottle, but I'd have to think that some subtle change in flavor would take place over 102 years?! Also, due to it's age it probably just tastes different from any whiskey out there currently.

5. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

I recently opened a bottle of Jack Daniel's black that had been sitting, sealed, on a shelf for 25+ years. It seemed to be a little tastier, but that might have been my imagination after a few shots... :eek:

7. Elixer macrumors regular

I can't decide if it would taste better or worse than what we currently have. :confused:

8. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

I did the same with a bottle of Jim Beam my father in law had since 1966. Didn't taste any different to me though.

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Whisky stops aging once it's out of cask. In a bottle, it shouldn't change much in taste.

All the same, I wouldn't fight with a wee dram.. :D