'Shadow of the Tomb Raider' Coming to macOS in 2019

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 20, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Feral Interactive today announced that the third game in the rebooted Tomb Raider series, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, will be coming to macOS and Linux computers in 2019. As usual with Feral's early announcements, no specific date was given for the game's release on macOS.

[​IMG]

The game originally launched on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Windows PC in September 2018, published by Square Enix and developed by Eidos-Montréal. Shadow of the Tomb Raider picks up the story from the 2015 entry in the series, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and follows Lara Croft as she hunts for the legendary hidden city of Paititi in the jungles of South America, battling the Trinity organization and attempting to prevent a Mayan apocalypse.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will follow Rise of the Tomb Raider's appearance on macOS earlier this spring, in the form of the "20 Year Celebration" edition of the game that included all DLC content. Feral announced Rise of the Tomb Raider would be coming to Mac in February and then launched it in April, so we should hear more about a specific launch date for Shadow of the Tomb Raider after the new year.

Feral also ported the original rebooted game, simply titled Tomb Raider, to macOS and Linux computers.

Article Link: 'Shadow of the Tomb Raider' Coming to macOS in 2019

2. Niko Todd macrumors newbie

Niko Todd

3. rotlex macrumors 6502a

4. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

A small, but fairly loyal contingent of Mac users care about video games. I am one of them. I don't care about gaming on the Mac anymore, but definitely appreciate Feral putting in the work for those who do.

This is a great game btw. Will be a great addition to any Mac gamer's library.

5. Jsameds macrumors 68040

Can any Macs actually run it without an eGPU?

6. sculpher macrumors newbie

sculpher

I saw the headline and instantly envisioned a Tomb Raider / Shadow of the Colossus crossover. Sadly the reality was a little less exciting for us Mac/PS3/ PS4 users

7. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

The worst of all of the three games. It was just too slow paced and being in the jungle the entire time was boring. At least change the locale from time to time. This isn't to say it is a terrible game because it's not.

8. Janichsan macrumors 65816

Janichsan

Because people want it?

9. twistedpixel8 macrumors regular

twistedpixel8

I think Mac users don’t game because until recently, we had no choice. With eGPU, now we do. I like this change very much.

10. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Yeah. As soon as I finished it was like huh? That was it? There were interesting puzzles and some breathtaking visuals but overall I enjoyed Rise much more.

11. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I think Rise was better, but Shadow was better than the 2013 reboot. On my second playthrough Shadow was a little more fun because I had to grind less because I was less distracted by exploring. I knew where I wanted to go and where I didn't. It was definitely fun. Not as fun as AC:Odyssey, but fun nonetheless.

12. smorrissey macrumors 65816

I'm planning to buy it this Friday with discount of course, perhaps not the best but part of the trilogy.

What it pisses me off are the system requirements too demanding.

13. Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

Wonder if this will have support for Ray-tracing like in the PC version. Though I doubt it.

14. Ghost31 macrumors 68020

Ghost31

15. hiphopdan macrumors newbie

In other news, EA announces it plans to bring “NHL ‘96” to Macs by Q1 2020.

16. kissmo macrumors 6502a

This game is indeed a “shadow” of the Tomb Raider....
    Not worth the cash... Boring, long and way too much jungle.
    I will never enjoy games with jungle and personally I cannotnunderstand why creators of games love jungles so much...
    Like Diablo 2 - Act 3... only jungle :)))

17. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

This would be great if Apple would get a wiggle on and sign NVIDIAs macOS Mojave drivers!!!!!!!!! :mad:

18. xWhiplash macrumors 68000

There is a massive difference from not gaming to wanting to game at 4K 120fps.

I am able to game on ALL my macs. Not ultra max settings. But they can certainly game. Same hardware and Windows 10 makes it better.

19. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

I’m fairly certain most Mac users who like gaming have a PS4, XB1, or both.

This latest entey for TR was the least interesting. The first two (of this reboot) were far better. Of course, Uncharted is another series to look at for this type of game. TRs reboot borrowed much from it. Then both franchises started stealing from each other, heh. Another reason to pick up a PS4 if you like gaming.

20. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

I just wish there was a good racing game like Forza or something available.

21. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

Makes me wonder how much of it had to do with Eidos developing it instead of Crystal Dynamics.

22. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502a

AlexMaximus

With ease, - this is a yes for the cMP club!

23. pat500000 macrumors G3

pat500000

24. star-affinity macrumors 6502a

star-affinity

Pretty sure we can forget that until Apple adds support for raytracing in Metal and until there are MacOS drivers for GPUs supporting raytracing. Maybe next year?

25. lec0rsaire macrumors 65816

Yes but with low res and low detail. Not more than 1080p with everything on low for those with 2016 and newer MBPs and iMacs with the Radeon Pro dGPUs. Anyone with a 13” MBP or machine that only has Iris or Intel HD is SOL.

Those with 2018 MBPs with Vega 16 and Vega 20 will have a good experience. They still won’t be able to max everything at the native 2800*1800 res, but they should be able to achieve medium to high at 1440p.