Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly one year after Feral Interactive announced that "Shadow of the Tomb Raider" would be coming to macOS sometime in 2019, the company today provided a launch date for the game: November 5. On this date, the game will also launch on Linux.

shadow-of-the-tomb-raider-macos.jpg

Feral's port of the game for macOS is the Definitive Edition, including all seven DLC challenge tombs, along with all downloadable weapons, outfits, and skills. Otherwise, the base game will be the same seen within the original release of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which first launched on consoles in September 2018.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the third game in the rebooted series, following Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider, telling the story of Lara Croft's quest to prevent the Mayan apocalypse. The game primarily takes place in Central and South America, including areas like Cozumel and the Amazon, all on Lara's quest to discover the hidden city of Paititi.

Shadow of the Tomb Raider will be priced at $59.99 on Feral's store when it launches on November 5.

Article Link: 'Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition' Launching November 5 on Mac

Reactions: Reindeer_Games

4jasontv

Suspended
Jul 31, 2011
This game looks amazing with ray tracing. It is the best game to show off the latest generation of GPU's and HDR monitors. If you haven't played this yet pick it up. It's almost always $15 for the base game or $22 for the game and all the DLC. If you sign up for emails a lot of places have coupons that make it even cheaper.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
I’m surprised Apple hasn’t tried to tackle the gaming sector. People who play games go to PCs. But Apple only worries about Apple Arcade

gplusplus

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2018
I’m surprised Apple hasn’t tried to tackle the gaming sector. People who play games go to PCs. But Apple only worries about Apple Arcade
Perhaps they’re starting with Apple Arcade and working backwards? Here’s the thing: we all know that they’re at a severe disadvantage in desktop gaming hardware. But for casual and mobile phone gaming hardware, they’re at an extreme advantage. Apple’s chips are superior to basically everything, and believe it or not, casual gaming is still a pretty big market.

Apple likes to make money. I’m sure all gaming possibilities are on their radar!

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
Perhaps they’re starting with Apple Arcade and working backwards? Here’s the thing: we all know that they’re at a severe disadvantage in desktop gaming hardware. But for casual and mobile phone gaming hardware, they’re at an extreme advantage. Apple’s chips are superior to basically everything, and believe it or not, casual gaming is still a pretty big market.

Apple likes to make money. I’m sure all gaming possibilities are on their radar!
I want to see Macs run big titles like battlefield etc. most gamers I ask which platform they use for gaming and they always say PCs are design for gaming better. Hope Apple could change that perception

Akzel

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2008
I wonder if they make any money from games on macOS… few machines that can even run it properly. I have A gaming PC and a work Mac, and every time Windows improve I wonder if my workflow on a Mac is really much better…

Now they gave up OpenGL altogether and expect devs to use Metal instead of Vulkan for a tiny user base. I don’t get why they even release old games that can be bought for a fraction of the price on other platforms.

Reactions: niun

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
This game looks amazing with ray tracing. It is the best game to show off the latest generation of GPU's and HDR monitors. If you haven't played this yet pick it up. It's almost always $15 for the base game or $22 for the game and all the DLC. If you sign up for emails a lot of places have coupons that make it even cheaper.
What he said. ↑↑↑ It's a great game. Although to be fair, the TR franchise is one of my favorite. Shadow is my second favorite of the series reboot. I even designed a livery in Forza 7 based on Shadow. My TankPool 24
Shadow of Tomb Raider TankPool 24.png

I always say it, but it's true. Feral and Aspyre... they doin' God's work.

Last edited:
Reactions: thisisnotmyname

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
This game will require an eGPU to run well on most Macs. It runs fine on my 2018 6-core MacBook Pro with a Vega 56 eGPU, running Windows 10 via Boot Camp.

Feral does excellent ports, this is good news. Their port of Rise of the Tomb Raider ran nearly as well on Mac as it did in Windows, I bought it in Steam on sale (includes both Mac and Windows) and made comparisons.

vir2l2k

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2019
the rtx 2080ti manages 59 frames at 4k in the highest setting (which is more than just high). I will let that count. there are 2 kinds of games: one u play competitively like CS where u need max fps and the other for its amazing aesthetics like tomb raider or immersiveness like wow. the later requires a high resolution and detail. 4k gaming at 120 fps+ is a thing already. apple should finally either build their own gpus or allow nvidia high end gaming gpus. and yes, the mac pro gpus will not be for gaming as the upgrade from the 580x will cost 2k+ USD at least which is more the most entry level gaming pcs

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018

I think we are just starting to see them focus on it. But they are going the route of Nintendo / family friendly titles they control, versus something like Steam / hardcore gaming. Now that there’s Apple Arcade + controller support, we’re about to see some very interesting developments from Apple! I could totally see them buying some game studios in the near future.

Reactions: robbysibrahim

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
The problem I see is Apple (and a lot of people for that matter) wants things as soon as possible, so there's no way to get that AND a decent GPU at the same time. Really wish Apple would make the "Air" lines the super-duper thin line, and the "Pro" line the bigger, heavier-duty line.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Lol, well....
One of the two of us is WAY out of the loop!

Is there a big push for 5k gaming??
I thought 1080p/144hz was the gaming setting of choice.

For the higher-end cards, 1440p 144hz is the sweet spot right now. 1080p isn’t too hard to push these days with modern cards, and there are 240hz monitors to pair with it. But there are those who opt for 4k 60hz with the top cards (like the 2080 ti).

For those interested in playing this on your Mac, the way to go would be purchasing an eGPU enclosure such as the Sonnet eGFX or the Razer Core X. You’d then pair an AMD card (Nvidia cards are not supported), such as the Vega 64 on the high end. Bonus tip - if you do this, you might as well run windows 10 with boot camp to let yourself dual boot and open yourself up to a larger library of compatible games.

All of these eGPU tips are on Apple’s site, with enclosure and graphics card recommendations. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208544

Last edited:
Reactions: Reindeer_Games

jona2125

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
And you are under the opinion that the PC gaming segment is larger than the console gaming market??
Ummmm......

They're about the same actually. PC and Console gaming combined only tally for about 50% of the online gaming revenue, each contributing about 25%. As far as active users, it's still pretty much split 50/50 between PC and Console.

Reactions: Justanotherfanboy

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
So Shadow of the Tomb Raider was massively underwhelming and isn't worth the $60 price tag anyway. Kinda doesn't matter whether your Mac can run it or not.

robbysibrahim

macrumors regular
May 13, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Ugh. My serious gaming ambitions are hold until I can see the future of streaming gaming (Stadia) vs going native (Steam library w/eGPU on a dual boot Mac). I have the money I just don't know where to direct it (subscription or hardware).

Apple Arcade is about to renew for me and I'm going to let it because it's fulfilling the mobile gaming category real well right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.