Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
New to Mac.
I have a shadow under the mouse which is very annoying....to me...and I just wanted to ask if anyone knows how to turn this thing off?

Thanks for your help

Nov 28, 2010
located
You mean the mouse pointer shadow visible in this image or is your shadow more pronounced?
MR2ss_2014_08_16_pA1_MousePointerShadow.png

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
simsaladim,

The pictures you posted show exactly what I mean.

I wanted to take a screen shot like that but couldn't figure out how to do it, but yes....that's the shadow I'm talking about.

Anyway to get rid of this?

In Windows all I just go to the Control Panel>Mouse and turn it off, but but I don't see where it is on the Macintosh.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I do not know how to turn it off, since I never needed to.
A quick www search also did not bring up any results besides QuartzExtreme, but that is old talk about the shadow being visible or not due to some machines supporting QE and some not.

I guess you have to wait for an answer a bit longer or have to learn to live with it.

I barely notice that shadow anyway, since that pointer is quite small, probably 15 by 18 pixels in size.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Annoying ?

Didn't even notice this until OP mentioned it. Can hardly see it, and for me I don't pay attention to such little things. :confused:

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Annoying ?

Didn't even notice this until OP mentioned it. Can hardly see it, and for me I don't pay attention to such little things. :confused:

I do "pay attention to such little things" and think there should be an option to turn it off.
It's annoying to work in certain software with that shadow there all the time.

philxor

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2010
I don't think you are the first person to ask if you can disable the mouse drop shadow, but afaik there isn't a way to disable it. Your question is probably better asked in the OSX section of the forum though.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
It must be a design default just like you can't change the angle of the arrow

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Thanks fellers......obviously this is not a part of the OS.
Disappointing but it is what it is......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.