Shadowgun - the Tegra 3 poster child gets Retina update

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacAttacka, Apr 24, 2012.

1. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Madfinger Games has updated its Silver Award-winning iOS shoot-'em-up Shadowgun to support a native resolution of 2048x1536. In layman's terms, the shooter now supports the new iPad's gorgeous Retina display.

Plus, thanks to the A5X processor that powers Apple's latest touchscreen slate, Shadowgun now boasts 4x MSAA anti-aliasing while still managing to maintain smooth gameplay.

Finally, for those of you still rocking a first-gen iPad or an iPod touch, this small refresh should also fix those pesky crashes you've probably been experiencing due to a lack of system memory.

If you're yet to grab this rather excellent shooter, now may be the perfect time to do so: Shadowgun is currently on sale for just £1.99 / $2.99. We call that a bargain here at Pocket Gamer Towers.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Shadowgun/news.asp?c=40279

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

Ok now at least the Android and iOS fans have "optimized" version of the same game.

3. LanEvo macrumors 6502

For a moment there, I thought you were announcing that Asus was coming out with a Retina Display Transformer or something b/c only Asus used the T3 for now.

4. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

^ so did I

The cheapest this has been is $1 according to AppShopper. I usually hold off but since the iOS version got a pretty damn good update I went ahead and bought it. It has been $5 up until the $3 sale. I have held off on Infinity Blade 2 since I kind of feel like the gameplay is repetitive if it's like the first one. Plus the demo of the Dungeons app looks tons betters and I'd rather blow money on it.

5. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

The Tegra version still has some features that iOS doesn't have, but at least it's retina now... that's pretty neat :D

6. MacAttacka, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

The deal with this game is that every benchmarking site has been comparing it against the IOS version. iOS was always smoother running than Tegra but Tegra ran the game at a higher resolution. In the Android forums I often frequent this game has always been held up as 'proof' that Tegra with is highly clock quad CPUs has superior 'real world' performance over A5x. Not any more. And to think nVidia actually paid the developers to optimise the game for their platform :D

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5688/apple-ipad-2012-review/16

7. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

It surprised me that Anandtech didn't really specify the point that they were comparing a Tegra-optimized version of Shadowgun to a non-Retina optimized version of Shadowgun. Granted, they aren't a gaming site so this wasn't meant as a review of the game the same way that IGN often did video reviews that put the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the same game into a "split screen" side by side analysis of the differences in graphics performance. But still, I think they should amend their original review now that there is a Retina-optimized version of the game for the iPad 3rd Gen and see if they still give the Tegra version the edge.

Same for the other games that they used that now have been updated to support the iPad 3rd Gen.

8. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Well, the differences were mostly down to physics for the Android version, something the iOS version still doesn't have.

9. MacAttacka thread starter macrumors 6502

Lower res, jerkier frame rate version with nice physics vs smoother, higher res retina version. I know which I'd prefer.

10. MacMane macrumors regular

I saw the price drop last night on app shopper, bought the game, and have been playing it ever since. Frame rate is good, gameplay is smooth, but I think physics play a major role in enjoyable games. This one lacks in that department.

----------

Any ideas on why the iOS version lacks the same physics that are in the android version? Is it the because the tegra 3 has two extra CPU cores?

11. blackhand1001, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I really do believe that apple should have given the cpu a nice upgrade as well. My galaxy nexus in cpu tasks is much faster than my ipad 2 and the ipad 3's cpu is essentially the same. Pages load much faster on my nexus.

[​IMG]

In comparison apples tablet scores around 10000 even and the 4s is around 85000. Upgrading the cpu is very important imo and the omap 4460 has a much better power draw than the a5x which is extremely power hungry. I like this particular benchmark as it actually corresponds to something that you can see in real life.
    The nexus is more than twice as fast as the 4s in this benchmark.

12. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You don't need to defend your choice of platform here.

I was merely pointing out the major difference.

13. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

It typically boils down to one or all of the three factors:

1) Hardware capabilities/constraints
    2) Developer capabilities/constraints
    3) Contractual obligations/constraints

For all we know, the Tegra 3 optimized version of the game has the physics in it that it does because the dev team had to provide them (by contract), Nvidia wanted them to provide them (and gave them access to code that allowed for same) and the hardware CAN provide them.

Whether this is true for the iOS version of the game or not is up to brighter minds than my own to decide. Its possible the iPad 3 can't render such effects and remain playable, or its equally possible that the dev team can't or was prohibited from taking "showcase" features they developed for Nvidia on the Tegra 3 and making them available on the iPad 3 as well.

Who knows?

14. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

BrowserMark is a browser JavaScript test, it is not a CPU or GPU benchmark, nor do they claim to be:

No device has beaten the iPad 3rd generation in any CPU/GPU based benchmarks.

15. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

100% of the YouTube videos comparing browser speed with the Galaxy vs the iPhone 4S, all show the same thing. The Android browser initially loads the web page either about at the same time, or a split second (literally 0.5 seconds) faster than Safari, but once the page is loaded, performance in scrolling and navigating the page is better on Safari.

Is that something people will see in real life? Sure, but I'm not convinced with your conclusion that the Android browser is better :)

16. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Not all the graphics have been updated,,, the opening splash screen and menu screen. I really hate when when devs announce the game is optimised but they do a incomplete job! It's the little things.....

17. PrayForDeath macrumors 6502

Yea, this happens alot. You see "updated with retina support!!" in the description, only to find out that the menu/icons/gui are all pixelated and they only upped the resolution for the 3D rendering.

18. blackhand1001, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The galaxy nexus is signficantly faster and browsermark is not simply javascript test. Its a rendering test and graphics test as well. Its also very cpu dependent. GPU's are good at number crunching but they are almost useless for anything requiring instructions. Also the only reason the ipad 3's gpu is fast is because its three times the size of any other mobile gpu and has three times the power draw. My atom netbook uses less power than it. It can get 8-9 hours on a 5000mah battery. The ipads is like 12000mah. If they stuck the big battery in the transformer prime or a tablet with the nexus's chipset it would get like 20-25 hours of battery.

19. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

There were NEVER complaints about the 'speed' (CPU) of the iPad2. Memory issues? Yep...screen resolution? Yeah....GPU power to facilitate that new, high rez possibility? U Bet!--but when it came to speed; IE--the ability to play Any and ALL offerings available on the AppStore at a playable frame rate without crashing...AND offer an enjoyable experience while surfing the 'net, checking mail, flipping pages in your ebooks, et al....absolutely NO concern with the 'speed' of the CPU in the iPad 2.

Where Apple DID make improvements, they made EXTREME improvements. Considering the iPad is basically just an interactive 'screen'---the old school thought of boosting CPU power just doesn't apply! It's all about GPU power now! It's where they needed to make improvements and it's where they DID make improvements. Do you think adding a quad core processor (CPU) would've benefitted battery at all? Not with today's (or rather, 6 month ago) technology. However---a quad core GPU is necessary---the iPad (*3*) is one helluvan upgrade brother...not sure how even the most Holy of Android evangelists could deny this (I own a lot of Apple products...including the 4s, as well as a couple of Android devices--including the Galaxy Note).

Now I'm not sure what you mean by this being a 'benchmark you can actually really see in real life...' Because it's quite the opposite. The ONLY thing you see in real life with that B/M is an arbitrary number given to a mobile device that measures browsing and java performance. Not CPU, nor GPU. Please check Andandtech for more information and significantly more meaningful benchmarking tools that you MAY be able to equate to 'real life' performance. I think that's kinda the definition of benchmarking isn't it? It's not real life, it's a technically derived answer to the performance of a particular piece of electronics according to a bit of software. Has nothing to do with how Roxio or EA or Blizzard or Joe Blow's Apps and Gadgets coded THEIR software!

The cool thing with iPad development--there's only ONE iPad! Obviously, there are earlier iterations--but there isn't a 300 dollar version and a 3,000 'enthusiasts' version. Just one. Hence, developers are developing for THAT piece of kit...and IT alone! Obviously, if they want to make the most loot from the AppStore--they'll also code it to be able to run on the most iOS devices possible, referring to age and/or phone/tablet. It's not the equivalent to the PC or even the Mac world...where there are several different 'ranges' of CPU/GPU/RAM etc. Just. One!

Obviously, this isn't the case on the Android side of the coin. And I think Google is aiming to change that with their rollout (albeit slow...I'm still waiting with a brand new GNote:)) of ICS. It's the software...not the hardware in most if not all of these cases of lag/shutdown/reboot/etc complaints that we hear so often. Same in the iOS world. Owners of iPhone 3's can attest to the performance hit they received making the jump to iOS 5.0. But technology moves forward. And in the case of the mobile sector--possibly a bit quicker than the home PC and/or desktop world of computing.

All this mumbo jumbo said...I do look forward to the "A6" or whatever processor Apple uses in next year's iPad--or this fall's iPhone. I'm a geek too. I've been reading for three days about TriGate transistors, the new Intel HD 4000 GPU...and benchmarks on Anand's site that I will NEVER understand! But again...I believe these mobile devices are essentially ALL screen. Hence, the loyalty to the GPU more-so than yesterday's heavy reliance on the CPU to increase performance

We're actually seeing the same in the desktop/laptop realm. Look at the options now with Video and Photo editing, 3d and CAD work...all moving to offload those CPU tasks to the GPU when possible. GPUs are fast mother's these days, with incredibly fast RAM. For them just to be there for the sake of "Gaming" makes no sense. Go to Boeing's site...click the "Design my own Dreamliner" link (sorry, I don't have it but I was there yesterday;))---and even clicking through the gallery (much less designing your own plane), you'll notice your GPU kicking in! I think it's cool seeing these two bad boys working together rather than separate. Intel and AMD obviously think so as well!

Not sure why you feel the need to defend the 'other' system so voraciously. The Galaxy Nexus is definitely NOT significantly faster....and in many cases is actually quite the opposite. But, with a little reading on line, and 'REAL WORLD' usage of said device will open your eyes. Don't rely on a free browser mark test to misconstrue information...OR to limit what YOU will find if you actually step over and try an iOS device~

Why are you here? With a quick gander at some of your previous posts, you're obviously not a fan, not a user...isn't there another hobby you may find appealing rather than rousing Apple/Mac/iOS folk?

Just curious

J

20. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

I've got the Tegra 2 (from my Xoom days) and bought the Tegra 3 version to see how much better it was on my TF Prime and it's not added anything sugnificant to the game. Some levels have been modified so that there can be pools of water on the floor which have cool looking ripple effect and physics does seem a little more natural but it really isn't enough to trump either version from my perspective.

Shadowgun does continue to be one of my favourite games on mobile so whatever version you own/have available is great.

21. DodgeV83 macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry BlackHand1001, you seem very knowledgable, but your assertions on this issue are simply wrong.

BrowserMark's website clearly says:

When Apple upgraded Safari on the iPhone 4, the BrowserMark scores nearly doubled, scoring much better than most of the newer dual-core Android devices at the time.

It's quite clear BrowserMark is benchmarking the browser.