Shady Anti-Virus Software

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OCSpersonel, Jun 20, 2009.

1. OCSpersonel macrumors regular

After reading and posting about the CS4 trojans and iWork Torjans, it made me think. how do we know all these AV softwares are safe? i mean especialy if the claims about that intergo or whatever, how do we know there not delibratly releasing trojans just to boost sales? or steal our personal info? do we really know what our AV softwares are doing? i know i let mine scan in the background and i dont even think about it unless it notifies me of a problem

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

3. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

i now they are, but there was and is alot of rumors of them starting those trojans.

im not talking about them in particular though, just the AV software in general, how can we know to trust them, everyone has different software and theres probably thousands who have probably downloaded knock off versions that are just fronts to release more spyware and trojans

* suspicious Intego=
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/New-Mac-Trojan-Contains-Reference-to-Intego-99272.shtml

but some cases lead to the trojan being directed at intego, so that very well may be.

4. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

That's just people having a joke.

That's why you only download well known software (Intego Virus Barrier, iAntiVirus, e.g.)

No, that's a crafty trojan disguising itself as a legit program.

5. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

ah, yes yes and yes. its a good thing im discussing this on the forums, id be really misinformed. so the CS4 Trojans were legit aimed at Intego?

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

They were legit, they tried to disguise themselves by naming themselves after an AV software vendor.

7. OCSpersonel thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, well thanks for clearing stuff up for me :)

i was afraid of geten there AV but u guess i have no need to worry now!