Shady Dealings with an "authorized repair store"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by l4t13, Nov 19, 2011.

1. l4t13 macrumors regular

So my Macbook Pro stopped working (no turn on, no chime, no screen etc but the battery indicator works and it charged) after a slight water spill.

So I take it to the local Apple authorized repair store. The guy looks at it says he sees a water indicator tripped but none that would cause it to not work and that all the rest were fine and not tripped. He asks to keep it and look further into it, I say sure.

4 days later I go in because no call yet and he tells me my option:

1- send it to apple for 900$ (expected this one)

2- He would warranty all the parts expect the keyboard (water damaged) and the logic board then charge me 310 (180 keyboard + 130 labor + 30 to backup my harddrive to the new one he will warranty.) He said he could have Apple overnight all the parts Monday. My question was what if the logic board was bad then he said well all the water damage parts would be replaced so you could mail it to Apple for a warranty.

Does this seem shady to anyone else or is this just how the Apple authorized places work?

2. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

Either you misunderstood or he misspoke. If the logic board is water damaged, it is not covered by warranty and therefor would not be covered for free.