ShairPort on iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Prodo123, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

I'm not sure if this should be in digital audio or iPhone, but I'll put it here because I'm looking for an iPhone app.

AirPlay is great! You can stream stuff *from* your iPhone to your Apple TV.
    But what if you want it to work the other way around? What if you want to stream stuff TO your iOS devices?

I was lucky enough to snag the app AirView before it got pulled off the US stores, but it only does video.

Then I remembered that AirPort Express has this ability, and that a genius reverse engineered it into an open source server code (I think). What I'm trying to find is an implementation of this open source code, known as ShairPort, on iOS.

Is there such a thing? I would love to use my speaker dock as a wireless speaker :)

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

There is a way to get audio working. You use the same thing that the Apple TV 2 uses. You'll need a few files from the Apple TV 2 4.1 firmware, you must use the 4.1 version. You need the /usr/libexec/airtunesd and the /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.airtunesd.plist files. Put those on your 4.1 or greater iDevice. This only works on the 3Gs or newer because the airtunesd binary file isn't compiled for the older ARM6 CPUs. Once the two files are in place, restart your iDevice and stream music to it.

3. cpmiller22 macrumors newbie

Intell-

That sounds like a very cool solution as it uses apple code. The only other thing I've seen is AirFoil, and I'd rather use all AirPlay so I can control everything from iTunes Remote which I quite like. I'm currently running iOS5 beta 7, so would I have to move back to the latest stable version and jailbreak to make this work?

Thanks!

Chris

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You would have to jailbreak to do this. I don't think you'd have to downgrade. It works in iOS 4.3.3 just fine. But remember, only the 4.1 version of airtunesd works.

5. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

That's the problem; I'm on iOS 5 b7; downgrading is not an option for me :(
    Any other way to do this without jailbreaking?

6. yipsundave macrumors newbie

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Nope. Its highly unlikely that Apple will allow any AirTunes streaming apps in the App Store. Because they would use Apple's private key from the Airport Express.

8. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Thanks. Extracted those files. I'll let you guys know if this hack still works under iOS 5 when the jailbreak comes out. :)

9. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Installed. iTunes is able to stream but system sounds are not sent! :p
    Somewhat suits my needs; I'd like to be able to use the iPhone dock as a wireless computer speaker instead of a mere music streaming station.

10. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

To stream everything, not just AirTunes, you'd have to use AirFoil.

11. Prodo123 thread starter macrumors 68020

Prodo123

That's what I was trying to avoid...I get a 3 second lag between the speaker and the computer!