Shake and motion to become one in FCS3?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mtfield, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mtfield macrumors 6502

I've heard slight rumblings that shake and motion are going to be combined in a future release of final cut studio and I was just wondering from someone who if familar with this rumor if they could give me the story behind it? It would be music to my ears if they made something that was a true compeditor to adobe AE.. Thanks!

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Who knows?

What i do know however that, despite what Apple say, they are neglecting the Pro Apps. They can kiss goodbye any hopes of film companies running with the Final Cut/Shake replacement.

AFAIK the industry is moving on with Nuke/Fusion/Flame etc for compositing and AE is widely used for graphics i'd be doubtful whether a competitor would succeed.

tbh - it's enough to make me consider selling my mac pro and buying a windows machine and getting on AVID and Nuke. :(

3. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

I wouldn't say (yet) they are neglecting them.. at least video wise. FCS usually updates every two years, so i'm expecting an update in april at NAB. Shake, apple has already publicly announced is at the end of it's life and will not be updated again. This is why i believe there has been the most speculation into the new Shake/motion combo. I'm expecting something pretty big to be announced at NAB or else i too might have to begin looking for other solutions. I love FCP too much to ever switch to avid though. I'm a fairly serious editor and am not a fan of cutting on an avid at all. however i might seriously begin to look to to the AE path.. So, i'm hoping that apple really steps up their game with pro apps in the coaming months. After all this mobile me, iphone, ipod and notebook updates are completed (mid to late september if history repeats itself) it seems like the pro apps should be next on their list... here's to hope!

4. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I've never quite understood the Shake/Motion combination thing. To me they do very different things. Shake is for heavy compositing, motion is for graphics, particles and basic compositing no? Why would you want to combine the two?

5. mtfield thread starter macrumors 6502

I think that's the main problem is people don't know how to properly combine them to create something in line with after effects... because neither on their own can touch after effects power. So, I think apples goal is to take the best parts of both and try and mold them into one behemoth of a program that could compete with After Effects (i've also heard rumors of apple buying out the adobe suite and then reconstructing after effects as a mac only program) but like i said i have no idea what this out come will be, but there has to be some plan in their head as to their final goal. I hope so atleast... i've heard rumors of them dumping pro apps, but i find these to be highly unlikely... it's a long time niche market apple has going for it.

6. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

hahahahaha - oh wait, you're serious?

7. tri3limited macrumors 6502

If Apple is neglecting it's Pro apps then why are the BBC and Sky over in the UK moving across to FCS.

Not to mention independent post production companies.

I know for a fact that a lot of the adds to come out of the UK still use Shake as well as for TV it's still one of the most cost effective ways to do special effects.

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Shake and Final Cut are cheap. Very good don't get me wrong but cheap so obviously they're attractive solutions. And of course they work very well.

Put yourself in Apples shoes though - you can spend $x million on the iPhone that will sell millions and generate billions or you can spend the same $x million on developing pro apps that will only return a fraction in revenues. Apple won't ever sell them off because atm the filter down to the iLife apps and are intertwined with the most important app on the mac - Quicktime. I just think they'll let them die a death slowly. Releasing a new version every two years that has something 'neat' but not really ground breaking. Apparently the people developing Shake have moved away to other jobs outside of Apple and i would bet that the Final Cut and Logic teams will be looking for other jobs too in the next 2 years.

9. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Well, they better do something if they want Shake to succeed at all. From everything I've heard, read and seen Shake is going down fast.

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

you better keep reading! Shake is dead. Development has stopped and the guy leading the team has moved over to the foundary to lead development on Nuke.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I really, really, really doubt FCP is going to get EOLed in 2010. The pro apps don't rake in the big bucks like the iPods/iPhones, but they do move towers and are prestige pieces for Apple as well. Kind like how Ford and Chevy don't make the big bucks on race cars, but they *still take part in NASCAR and such to R&D new tech as well as to get bragging rights.

As far as Motion becoming the new Shake... I think Shake will continue to be stripped for parts and those parts will end up in Motion, and to a lesser extent FCP, but I don't think Motion is going to became a true Shake successor. IMO, the 'problem' w/Shake, and possibly w/Color as well, is that they are very specific programs that require a lot of R&D and only cater to a very niche audience. I think Apple decided Shake required to many resources for too little ROI to keep the product competitive so they killed it. I'd hoped they learned their lesson and approached Color w/a "what have we learned" mindset, but considering Color has been out for a year and still has a number of show stopping pitfalls I'm not so sure...

Lethal

*EDITED to finish a sentence I forgot to finish.

12. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Amen to that. And aren't people saying that FCP is killing Avid? Hell no for the 2010 EOL. Lethal hit a good point with the tower sales. FCP is one of the top reasons for the Mac pro, and where there are MP's there are ACDs. We have 5 Mac Pro/Power Macs, each with ACD's, FCS2 and FCS for the older towers.

I'd be thoroughly annoyed if FCP died.

13. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Exactly! Affordable software like FCS and Logic Studio helps Apple sell hardware. It's a similar story with OS X.

- Martin